Charging battery in automobile GPS

lew

Hi guys, I recentely got a Garmin 265WT GPS for my van and have been using it with the power cord plugged into the cigarette lighter, which also keeps the battery fully charged. I've decided now that I'd rather run it off the internal battery and recharge it in the house whenever it needs re-charging.

I stopped into Best Buy today to purchase a charger ($28) but the salesman said I could use my cell phone charger to do it........ It has the same male end as the Nuvi charger. (The GPS has a BlueTooth connection)

The GPS battery was about 2/3 charged when I tried the phone charger and sure enuff, it brought it up to 100%, but I'm still leary of doing that.

Do you think the cell phone charger will be OK for the GPS, or should I spend the additional $28 and purchase the proper charger ??.........I'm leaning towards the proper charger but no sense spending $28 if it's not needed.

BTW, when I plugged the phone charger into the GPS, a picture came on the screen showing a device plugged into a computer via a cable.

Any thoughts ??

I sold these at Future Shop when I worked there a few years ago. Like Terry said, if it puts out the same voltage it should be fine. If you look around on your phone charger it should give you an output. Just match it up with the Garmin charger. If it does not match, I would pick up the proper one.

The connection that you have is probably a mini-USB connection. Old USB chargers can't hurt, they can only undercharge (I have never looked at one).

All of the new chargers (last 5 years or so) with this end will work because they follow the same USB standard. It probably can charge right off your computer too.

Miracles of miracles, the futureshop guy was likely right :P maybe you can return it and buy another lure.

forrest

Edited by forrest