Nipissing report

smbhunter

Went to Promised Land Camp for the annual Nipissing ice fishing trip and had a blast. After leaving much later than expected, (wanted to leave at 6 am but didn't until 3 pm), we arrived, relaxed for a bit, had something to eat and went to sleep anticipating the next days fishing adventure.

As soon as we got out in the morning, the fish were moving through quite consistently but biting very light. It wasn't until 9 am that the first walleye made its way up through the hole. Throughout the rest of the day we lost several fish due to the light bite, but managed to land 8 walleye, with only 2 being in the slot, and 2 perch. In total, we kept 5 walleye and 1 perch from the first day.

The next day was very different in terms of fish behaviour, less fish were moving through but they were hitting very hard. We landed 11 walleye and 2 perch the second day, to bring the 2 day total to 19 walleye and 4 perch for 2 guys. We should have had much more walleye the first day, but the light bite got the better of us. Still, we were very content with the results from the trip, especially me since I landed me PB walleye. It wasn't a huge fish but a decent one nonetheless.

Fish were caught using a williams ice jig spoon and a set line with a white jig head, in 23-27 feet of water. The hut was sitting in 23 and holes outside were in 26-27 with an even number of fish caught at both depths. It was interesting to see the fish in deeper water hang around the hole for extended periods of time, while the fish in 23 feet were mainly just cruising through.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Edited by smbhunter

Lots of nice walleyes there! That one fish is really big, any idea of its size?

I took a quick measure of that fish for curiosity sake and it was 25". Not a huge fish, but man was I happy when I got it to the hole and realized it was a nice walleye. Till then I thought it was a pike cuz of the long runs it was taking. It was great watching that one swim away. I didn't bother measuring the other ones in the photos since I knew they were well into the slot.