NF -- Honest Car Mechanic East Toronto

musky_man

Hi,

Like many of you, I am always looking for an honest car mechanic. I was going to Owens Automotive, but they had to close up due to illness.

Looks like I need a head gasket replaced on my 1996 Toyota Camry and I am loathed to get raked over the coals at the dealerships.

So -- anyone got a mechanic they are real happy with in the east end of Toronto?

Thanks,

Mark

Guest skeeter99
Clamp-it,

No - not over heating yet. Why do you ask?

Thanks to those who have replied thus far.

Mark

well if it aint overheating or antifreeze is not disappearing or the oil is not going light brown(mixing with antifreeze)then it is probably not a head gasket

what makes u think u need a head gasket

extremely...extremely rare in that year of car

:thumbsup_anim:I've dealt with Sam Scala, who is now at 4015 Sheppard Avenue East at Kennedy Road, in Agincourt for going on 36 years. I started going to him in the summer of 1973 when he used to run a Fina station at Bellamy & Lawrence out near Cedarbrae Plaza. He bought a bigger place (Petro Canada) in about 1995 up at Huntingwood & McCowan, which his sons took over several years later, and Sam moved down to Agincourt about 3 or 4 years ago. The land owners wouldn't renew the lease on the property up on McCowan, so now Sam & both sons are all at Kennedy & Sheppard. This guy is the very best mechanic I've ever seen. If I run into a small problem, even that my new casr warranty covers, I'd rather go and have Sam fix it, PROPERLY, at MY cost, rather than go to the dealer! Except on a few rare occasions, NOBODY else has EVER touched ANY vehicle I've owned in the last 36 years. I go in, tell him what my vehicle is doing, he fixes it, I RARELY ever look at my bill . . . I just pay it, satisfied I got my money's worth. Sam & the boys can be reached at 416-299-6772 . . . they are as good as car care gets!

Well, it is East of Toronto but this guy is HONEST, SMART, and an EXCELLENT mechanic. He doesn't need to advertise, his reputation is so good that his entire business is built on referrals and he is always busy! Karr's Cars on Snug Harbour Rd. just N of Lindsay. I have nothing but respect for this young man. I have referred several people to him and never been disapointed! If you are willing to travell this far, let me know and I'll get his phone # for you.

Clap-it,

A toyota mechanic said it did and I can see it leaking. The oil still looks OK and it may be leaking outward only i.e., not going in to the cooling system. In my search around the internet, head gaskets were a weakness of this car.

It may go years without leaking into the the colling system, but I donly like to take the chance.

If anyone else had any other opinions, please le me know.

Thanks for the other referrals, guys.

:thumbsup_anim:I've dealt with Sam Scala, who is now at 4015 Sheppard Avenue East at Kennedy Road, in Agincourt for going on 36 years. I started going to him in the summer of 1973 when he used to run a Fina station at Bellamy & Lawrence out near Cedarbrae Plaza. He bought a bigger place (Petro Canada) in about 1995 up at Huntingwood & McCowan, which his sons took over several years later, and Sam moved down to Agincourt about 3 or 4 years ago. The land owners wouldn't renew the lease on the property up on McCowan, so now Sam & both sons are all at Kennedy & Sheppard. This guy is the very best mechanic I've ever seen. If I run into a small problem, even that my new casr warranty covers, I'd rather go and have Sam fix it, PROPERLY, at MY cost, rather than go to the dealer! Except on a few rare occasions, NOBODY else has EVER touched ANY vehicle I've owned in the last 36 years. I go in, tell him what my vehicle is doing, he fixes it, I RARELY ever look at my bill . . . I just pay it, satisfied I got my money's worth. Sam & the boys can be reached at 416-299-6772 . . . they are as good as car care gets!

I second that... since I started driving and got my very first car.. Sam's the man for me.. he is a no bull guy and will tell you as it is... I am with him for 12 years now :)

I hope there is, because I literally just took my Xtreme in last night to be looked at today about a very similar problem.

My heater isnt working as well as it did last week....so I am HOPING it's not the head gasket!

Still waiting for the call....

this is my mechanic. his name is James or his dad Lee. say Peter sent you. he will only fix what needs to be fixed. i guarantee. it's called city auto on eglinton (north side, across from and a little east of home depot, east of mccowan). very straight up guy.