Boat wiring/battery questions

Sherriff

Currently, I have a fishfinder and a marine radio wired to my starting battery (I only have one). I want to add (in time) another fish finder (bow) and a front 24v trolling motor. My question is, how many batteries will I need in total 2 or 3, do I need an on board charger, and does anyone have any wiring schematics for boats/batteries?

Thanks

Sherriff

If your going to run a 24 volt bowmount.You will need 2 deepcell batteries just for that unit.

I would run a seperate one for the rest. I went through a dead battery situation last fall. I was told a cranking battery is not meant to last long when your running all your electronics on it.I would suggest you have a small cranking battery for the motor and a small deepcell for the rest of your electronics.

I believe douG might have something.

Personally, If you have the space, I would have two deep cycles hooked up in series (put a short jumper from one battery's negative to the other battery's positive, than run a positive lead and a negative lead from the two remaining posts, this will be 24 volts) and than have a starting battery from which you can hook up your electronics as well. I have a 3 bank charger on board to charge all 3 of my batteries. Remember to run #6 guage wire to the trolling motor and put an inline circuit breaker instead of a fuse(fuse works good too if you can access it easily)

Hey BMJ how ya been?

So you think maybe I just had a cranking battery that was dying out then?

I was also advised that I could use a large deepcell battery for both cranking and running the electronics off of,but would have to still charge it up,as the alternator in the motor would not do the job.

I have a 150hp compared to your 115hp, maybe it charges faster/better? but i run all my recircs,bilge , aerater,electronics includ. gps all day on the starting battery and have never had a problem, YET!!!!! this will be year 5 with the same battery. Had to get two new deep cycles last year though. I think your starting battery was on the fritz.

If I had tons of money, I'd probably have a 21footer and 4 or 5 batteries on board :blink::lol:

fishfinders are off when fishing buckets(for the most part ) as i am usually in 4 fow or less but on erie everything is running all day :thumbsup_anim: of course only if i have any fish :D

ps, I'm doing great, how you doin? i hadn't been around for some time, hope to be checking in more regularly now.

Goota get me a feed of perchies,

John

Edited by bucketmouthjohnny

I run my bowmount motor off 2 deep cycles at the front of the boat, and everything else, including 2 depthfinders, a radio, bilge pump, all the lights and all the guages off the cranking battery.

I have an onboard charger for the 2 deep cycles, and the cranking battery is charged by the engine alternator.

All 3 batteries are 7 years old, get used ALOT, and are still as strong as the 1st day.

I think the most important thing is to be sure to always keep them fully charged. If I use my bowmount more than 30 minutes a day, I plug it in when I get back to the dock.

And BTW, I've NEVER used distilled water in my batteries.......just good ole tap water and have never had a problem......touch wood :)

I use a deep cycle battery as my cranking battery; and I don't have any problem keeping it charged with a 55hp Suzuki. I also run two fishfinders, bilge, lights, and livewell off of this battery. A deep cycle may not make a very good cranking battery for a larger motor.

I run a seperate battery for my bow mount, it is only a twelve volt.

You do not need an on board charger. An external charger will work too, an on board charger is just a little more convenient. You should make a habit of recharging yuor batteries as soon as possible after using them.

I urge all the bboard members to check out this rigging system,especially if you go on long trips. I have it installed on mine and you will never have a dead battery again.

After I replace my present batteries with spiral wound OI won't have to worry so much about it any more.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/artic...ge_1/index.html

When you use two 12 volt batts in series, you can not add on

a 12 volt draw from one batt.

This will weaken the one batt that has the 12 volt draw.

Makin the stronger batt push more amps into the weaker batt causing more draw.

When batts are in series or parallel, The batts are only as strong

as you weaks batt.

In addition to what Tybo just said...also consider what that outboards alternator is going to cost you each time you pooch it. It's not designed to be charging dead batteries, especially three at a time...it's designed to top up your starting battery(s) and make up for use level due to use of the radio/nav light etc. Continuous output to charge all your trolling batteries is really going to shorten the life of that alternator and I'd only be doing something like this if you are regularily fishing somewhere that you don't have access to power for an onboard charger or similar for your trolling motor batteries.

If you want to be certain that you have a battery to get home...consider two cranking batteries and a 1/2/both Marine battery switch. Start on battery 1 and then shortly after you've started out and recharged that one somewhat switch to battery 2 and charge it for the rest of the trip. If for some reason it becomes a dud...you have #1 to get you started and home and vis versa...really good for a day you've killed the battery from still fishing, radio on, nav lights on etc. NEVER leave the battery switch in BOTH for anything but desperation starting when you've almost killed both batteries for some reason.