Smelts

bigugli

I thought 150 lbs in 2 pulls sounded like alot too, but I didn't grow up in the 60's. All always hear how bad it was walking 20 miles uphill in snow 20 feet deep just to go to school. So maybe the smelt felt bad for em and jumped in the net.

It was no exaggeration. My Grampa would come home with bushels full. Gram would then spend an entire day cleaning then. Then she would get right steamed when he started sharing the fish with the neighbours after she had done all the work. Nobody had big freezers then. You ate em fresh or you could pickle them.

The same thing would happen with the whitefish. To her dying day my Gram would never forgive him for those stunts :lol:

As a fund raiser the Niagara Rivers Anglers Association (NRAA) does a smelt fry on docks at Lewiston, NY every year. This right across from your Queenston launch site on the river. I believe it's held sometime in April. They will be dipping the smelt right out of the river and frying them up fresh right there. Everyone is invited to partake in the fun of a few beers and all fried smelt you can eat.

Bob

that's right around the time of year on our side, at the launch,where there are always some form of yahoos out there with some 2X4's nailed together as some sort of lever contraption with a rope and a net hanging off it, then it's usually nailed to the dock at the boat ramp for some unknow reason :wallbash::P And when me and a bunch of my buddies are out there in our boats getting in on the last few weeks of prime steelie action they look at you like this :huh::blink: becasue apparently us guys with the boats ar in the way when we launch and come in :dunno::wallbash:

Most of us are coming in with 15-20 thousand dollar boats or so and these guys are leaving nets and ropes and such in the water :angry: and looking at us wierd becasue we have the nerve to be using..THE BOAT LAUNCH!!!! 3 key word there !!!!!