How to fish with the william whitefish spoons?

xeon

After reading the other thread on why the hooks of that spoon are on the side is because the whitefish will pick it up off the bottom, what is your jigging technique with that spoon?

I have a couple of those spoons and haven't caught anything with them, so after reading that, ive obviously been doing something wrong.

Guest gbfisher

The Lakers like them when they flutter down. The whitefish like them usually on the bottom laying flat with a tight line so you can feel them pick it up. Only a small twitch is needed to entice them. You can attract them from far with a jigging motion of up to two feet off bottom. Always let it hit bottom and REST it flat. A few wrist twitches and if they see it they will come in a pick it up.

...At least, that's what you'd like to happen. :Gonefishing:

There has to be fish in the Area as well. :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck

although i don't fish too much for whitefish i do use the williams alot here on quinte and i bend the lure into a cure

what this does is slows the fall of the lure down keeping it in what i call the strike zone,works well here no reason why it won't work other places as well.

Hawg Hunter

The williams is designed to imitate a minnow, feeding off bottom. Just picture a minnow, feeding on bottom,and make the spoon do it.

I just jig it with short jigs (~6"), but pretty quick usually, with a pause here and there. As soon as my line goes tight, I'm lifting it again. Jig it in your hole, and see what looks the most like a feeding minnow to you.....

I'm only talking whities here.....for eyes/lakers I usually giever a good lift.

Sinker

Usually never change this routine with a williams or other sppons unless I start seeing high fish on the finder

drop down to 5ft off the bottom

6" lift, repeat 1-2 minutes

1 12-24" pull and lower down slowly so you keep contact with the spoon

sit still for a 10-15 seconds

and repeat, watch the graph and any time the bottom line thickens up drop the spoon right down on the bottom and then real up 10-15ft. Jig there a few times and then return to 5ft above bottom

I've get most hits on that longer pull and even when the spoon is at rest. At rest I beleive the spoon is spinning to releave the line twist.

I also fish a type of blade bait on Simcoe called a Blue Fox Wiggle stick. Like a rapala, when you jig this it goes around in a circle. Lots of guys out on long shoal will jig these for 5-10 minutes and then let them hang above the bottom and the line will get unspun. Saw a lot of fish hit these lures when they were just left to spin.

Oh come on,we all know you have to, RIP IT UP AND RIP IT UP. Sets the hook better. :oops::whistling: J/K.

I like to slowly raise and lower 2 inches. Every once and awhile,I give it a good jerk,so it will fluter and give off a flash.

Edited by misfish