Transporting minnows by sled

krawler

How do i get my minnows to the lake? i live approx 30 min by sled to the lake. Is there a small airtight bucket or box on the market? also where can i put it, i have a large travel knapsack for transporting my gear, i suppose i can put it in their. would the violent shaking from trail riding to the lake, kill the minnows?

any help would be great thanks

the shaking and bumps wont kill the minnows, you just have to worry about busting the bag. when i get my minnows i always ask to double bag it and double band it. i put my minnows in my tunnel bag but i know not everyone has a tunnel bag. i would then just put them in the back compartment or if you got a backpack i'd place them on the top. minnows are a pretty tough and i've had them last overa week in the bag and with hardly any water.

Going out on a limb here but try getting a small cooler with a tight fitting lid and rig an aerator on the side of it with a hole drilled for the hose. I've done it for make shift live bait wells in boats during warmer seasons. I'm just not sure how well it will hold up to the cold. Maybe there is someone else here who could speak to that.

As for the rough ride...Yes, you will have some casualties.

That's a real easy one, go find one of your buds that eats that protein stuff in the 1/2 or 1 gallon plastic containers, the lid screws on tight enough I don't have any spillage. Once you get to the lake, open up and stick the air stone in and turn your pump on. If you can get a second lid, you can poke a hole in to pass the air hose through.

Sounds like you do not have a tow behind sleigh, so I don't know if this will work for you.

For over 20 yrs. my buds and I have used 5 gallon industrial paint, drywall compound, etc. containers. The ones where you have to cut the notches to remove the lid.

They have a rubber o-ring seal in the lid. Snaps on very tight. We used to carry them on our snowmobiles between our legs until we got proper sleighs. Just wrapped a bungee cord around us and the bucket to keep it in place. Of course, we lost them quite a few times on portage trails or hitting drifts on the ice, but the lids have never come off. They can be tough to open though in very cold temperatures, but they are ballistic. Sometimes we get almost inch thick ice forming on the inside, and we just take the back of an axe head and bang it all around the outside to break it loose.

Going out on a limb here but try getting a small cooler with a tight fitting lid and rig an aerator on the side of it with a hole drilled for the hose. I've done it for make shift live bait wells in boats during warmer seasons. I'm just not sure how well it will hold up to the cold. Maybe there is someone else here who could speak to that.

As for the rough ride...Yes, you will have some casualties.

I use a small cooler, dont do the aerator....its to cold...tried one a couple years back and it froze solid, ice up the tube etc.

works well for me, just wrap bungee cords around it and thrpough the handles, keeps the lid down tight.