75 g currants

100 g raisins

100 g sultanas (or mixed peel)

200 g finely diced apples

1/2 teaspoon salt

icing sugar

sunflower oil

Directions

1Soak fruit (currants, raisins, sultanas) for 1 hour to plump up, then drain (soaking is optional).

2Add diced apple to fruit and stir in lemon juice.

3Dissolve yeast into 2 cups of the luke warm milk.

4In a large bowl, add flour, making a dip in the middle.

5Cream castor sugar and soft butter and add to flour.

6Add lightly beaten eggs and yeast mixture.

7Begin to combine ingredients stirring in one direction.

8Slowly add remaining milk stirring until thick and smooth.

9Add fruit mixture and stir 'til combined.

10Add salt and stir again.

11Pour into clean plastic bucket (I buy a new one each year) or very large bowl.

12Cover with clean kitchen cloth and let rise in warm place (ideally 30F) for 1/2 hour.

13When doubled in size, hit side of bucket or bowl to "drop" the batter.

14Using two spoons which have been dipped into hot (180F) sunflower oil (repeat this step as required), scoop a spoonful of batter and form oilebollen (this is somewhat an art to get right to produce perfect round shape) then slide (drop) into oil from just above oil level.

15Fry in small batches until rich golden brown (oliebollen should turn in the oil by themselves but turn with spoon if required).

16Remove with slotted spoon.

17Drain on kitchen paper.

18Sprinkle liberally with icing sugar to serve.

I get a 1/2 dozen neighbours showing up News Years at my door. Each with a bucket of olliebollens or appelflappens and the bowl of icing sugar to sprinkle on top. The custom is to share it with neighbours and friends.

So I gather you are a klomper.

New Years Day is usually a fishing day. Rest of the family can't seem to crawl out of bed.

Olibollen!

I haven't heard that name for a long time. My dad is Dutch (came over when he was 20) and he used to make olibollen (minus the fruit) at Christmas I think. It was yummy.

My Canadian mom did her best to drive anything remotely Dutch out of Dad, but I remember the tasty bits of deep fried dough with icing sugar.

As far as my own new year traditions go, we don't really have any. See what happens when you banish culture from the house.

Thanks!

Jim

I get a 1/2 dozen neighbours showing up News Years at my door. Each with a bucket of olliebollens or appelflappens and the bowl of icing sugar to sprinkle on top. The custom is to share it with neighbours and friends.

So I gather you are a klomper.

New Years Day is usually a fishing day. Rest of the family can't seem to crawl out of bed.

Living in Beamsville you're in the heart of Dutch decendants country. I used to work in the greenhouse industry in the area.

Tonight ask them if they have any sour herring......yum yum.

For dinner this year we will have BBQ salmon and bacon wrapped scallop kabobs with Portugese style shrimp on the side with fresh sour doe bread. Washed down with home made red wine or beer. This will be followed up in the evening with smoked trout snacks which usually consists of some kind of cracker with garlic and herb creme cheese topped up with a tender chunk of smoked trout and of course washed down with more red wine and beer.....Oh and my wifes favourite in front of TV snack,more shrimp but this time its breaded with their little tails sticking up :)

Cheers !!

Pork and sauerkraut, along with some kielbassa and hot dogs thrown in for good measure. Served over mashed potatoes. Very midwestern. two heaping bowls ='s gastric nightmare by halftime of the Orange Bowl, but it's well worth the pain.........