Hunting Calls

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is an semi pro nature photographer and has suggested that to get great shots, try hunkering down in a small bushy area where you'll be hidden (or try camo) and call predators or deer in.....my question is....does anyone have any predator/deer calls that they have laying around that they're not using?

Lemme know

Thanks

Dave

Sorry, can't help you with "anything lying around that I am not using" but: Having a call, and knowing how to use it are two totally different things, I have often seen people scare game away because they either didn't know how, or when to work with a call. Even the nice electronic ones that you can buy aren't fool proof. And not legal for hunting anyway (might be ok if you are just taking pictures).

You can get calls pretty cheap. I'm not sure what you want to call in? There is much more involved in calling in wild game than just blowing a call........they aren't going to come running in for a look without checking things out from distance first. You have to have everything "just right" .

Sinker

Sorry Dave but like others said, using a deer caller is one thing but producing results is another. From my experience deer hunting, if they're in pre-rut (late October to early November) using a grunt call often would definitely draw a deer towards you..... would be a great time to camouflage yourself and play the waiting game but in full rut (mid November), wouldn't use it as often and pay attention to any wildlife that get to pass by.

Riffle hunting is only open during pre-rut and full rut and don't know what the deer reaction would be after the season is closed... may be a bow hunter would be better suited to answer that question.

Hope this helps you out and wish you the best for your quest to capture a deer on camera

Jacques aka Leechman

Forgot to mention that deer has an elite sense of smell and sight..... would definitely try to cover my scent with products available at any sporting shops so that it doesn't smell you before you get to see him. That means to wash your clothing with none fragrance soap and certainly no fleecy type products

Another alternative is a tree stand.... would setup in an area where I know that has deer traffic and hope to get one that might stop & pose for your camera. You will not get notice as easily as if you were hiding on the ground.... again scent is of essence, cover it with any products or position yourself facing the wind.

Your best bet is to put yourself in a preditor mind set and become the preditor..... that way you will not make any noise, choose a perfect spot and certainly cover your scent.

Jacques

You may get a curious one to come to a call now but unlikely---it would depend on the animal density in your area.

If your looking for that "Lifetime" foto shot you may have to do some legwork.

This time of year in Ontario --look for food sources and water if open---look for runways---in winter they still use established travel routes---if you find fresh sign (new snow tracks or pooplets)--set up downwind and think like a hunter.

Tip**--if there is a lack of open farm fields in your area--deer like cedar----and southside sidehills on the coldest of winter days--trying for some sun warmth.

You should also find numbers together this time of year.

Happy shutterbuggin

Bushart