Smoker

walleyejack

Merry Chirstmas to all

i am looking for plans to build a small smoker, i need one for those trout out of Simcoe,

i have googled quite a few sited but i see nothing that is of interest, if anyone has a site or plans that i could look at i would appreciate that.

thanks.

7 days till the opener. WOOOOHOOO

Do you want to cold smoke the trout or do more of a hot smoked dinner style? This is going to dictate what kind of smoker you want to purchase / build.

For a cold smoker it is possible you could go with a True North Cooker. They are a small lightweight electric unit that you may be able to modify to keep the temp down (like 100-120F). Maybe not though as I have never used one.

For a hot smoker running charcoal, look into a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Similar to the Brinkaman suggested above but miles ahead in quality and performance (I've got 2). On this unit you can also prepare stuff like ribs, pork butt, brisket, etc....

Lots of designs on the net, keep looking, hope you find something suitable....

Burt :)

I wouldn't bother buying a smoker... in my opinion, i would stick to more natural ways of smoking! for example...

The classic fire! Get a nice fire started, and then smother it with pine branches and pine cones. That should not only smoke it, but give it a good scent once its finished!

Hope that helps you out! :)

I got a "Little Chief" smoker from CTC many years ago, I finally had to replace the element in it last year but it get so much use in the warmer weather that it sits out on my deck from as early as I can use it until it's just too darn cold to use it any more.

I love it! I pre smoke ribs and chicken in it, make jerky, smoke all kinds of fish and cheese, saussages and hamburgers. I even did a chunk of venison salami in it this fall, the salami was good to start with but man I am going to smoke all my salami from now on!

I buy most of my wood chips at CTC as they have a good selection and I like the price (I watch for the specials) and quality. I found the pan a little flimsy so I use a small cast iron pan that I found and it really does an excellent job.

For the $89.00 +/- that I spent on it, I think it has been a fantastic investment and we've enjoyed many wonderful meals from it. If I had a choice though I would love to have one like Wayne's daughter made!

I wouldn't bother buying a smoker... in my opinion, i would stick to more natural ways of smoking! for example...

The classic fire! Get a nice fire started, and then smother it with pine branches and pine cones. That should not only smoke it, but give it a good scent once its finished!

Hope that helps you out! :)

Do you want to poison the guy??

As a rule you should stay away from softwoods (ie with needles and cones) as they contain a lot of resins and such and produce much creosote when burned.

Typical smoke woods include hickory, oak, maple, various fruit woods, alder (great for fish!)....

Burt :)

I think when he was suggesting to use pine he was intending on smoking his own car fresheners...

He's been smoking something... but it aint meat!!!

Burtess Posted Today, 06:48 PM

QUOTE(Profisher25 @ Dec 27 2008, 01:37 PM)

Hope that helps you out!

Do you want to poison the guy??

As a rule you should stay away from softwoods (ie with needles and cones) as they contain a lot of resins and such and produce much creosote when burned.

Typical smoke woods include hickory, oak, maple, various fruit woods, alder (great for fish!)....

Burt

My two favorites are apple and pecan wood!!! :P

Price a pound of apple wood smoked bacon...