Tips to keep your home safe during the holidays

Happy Holidays everyone,

The Christmas holidays is a great time of year. Unfortunately, with that, the worst of society come out to play. Just wanted to give everyone some tips to keep their house safe.

1) When leaving your home for an extended period of time, speak with a friend or neighbour and make sure your mail is picked up and your snow is shovelled. Keep you house looking lived in.

2) Christmas Eve is a high point for break and enters. If you're leaving for Midnight Mass or another religious event/service etc, leave a few lights on at home, and DO NOT LEAVE presents under the tree, keep your goodies out of sight, put down the shades/curtains to avoid people being able to peek in your window.

3) Don't leave presents or valuables in your car period....lock your car doors

4) Set up a little neighbourhood watch and have your neighbours keep and eye on your house and vice versa

5) Lock your house up tight....I know there are many members on here that leave their house unlocked becasue they live in the country...but theives have cars/trucks too!

6) Although it's hunting season, keep your firearms locked away safely

7) Take notice of strange people or vehicles in your neighbourhood. Many theives scout out your home and others and pose as friends and family. Just be mindful of people.

8) When in doubt...call the police. It's not a waste of time calling the police if you feel someone is up to no good.

9) Make sure, if your house is broken into...don't go in until the police arrive...just for your safety. Items can be replaced but you can't

10) Put your valuables away. If your wife is like mine...she'll try on 10 different outfits with other accessories....make sure she puts her jewellry away...

I remember being on the deck 4 years ago and saw this guy walk to the back of the house next door and try to open the door. I figured it was family didn't say anything. Anyway 25 minutes later Doug pulls in next door with a cop and tells me someone set off the alarm trying to break in. I was shocked.

We own a Great Dane and a Doberman. The Dobe has had protection training when she was younger. Guests who come over for the first time always look intimidated when they see the dogs rushing to the door. lol.

Umm yea I have a gun in my house soo I think im good :P .. no Grinch in coming to steal my christmas :P

Heaven help you if you use it! This is not the States where protection of property is a sacred right. As well, anything you can use against someone can be used against you.

Heaven help you if you use it! This is not the States where protection of property is a sacred right. As well, anything you can use against someone can be used against you.

LMAO, hahahah, dont worry, I was only kidding :lol: .. I don't even own a gun.. the last thing I would want during the holidays is a situations looking sort of like this --› :stretcher: