need gps help!

boddah

im looking to buy a handheld but need some info. looked at one on sale at can tire but the clerk was of no use. i would like to be able to use it in the truck, boat and bush. my questions are:

1- are they loaded with road maps and do they talk you to your destination like the ones for your car?

2- do the topo maps have all the water depths or just land elevations?

3- any make and models you guys suggest?

thanks for any help :thumbsup_anim:

1- are they loaded with road maps and do they talk you to your destination like the ones for your car?

most are not you have to buy the maps as an extra

just land elevations

I really love my garmin

Well my handheld lowrance h20 i finder is amazing,and i even have a navionics chip in mine,you can load all the road maps in it as well,and its waterproof,go to www.lowrance.com and go to the gps section and check them out,they have several models for cars too,i take mine all over,and even in my boat,and with the navionics ,chip it amazing,it is great for ice fishing too !!! good-luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

1) Depending on your location in Ontario they may have detailed maps for you.

2) They do not come with water maps, but, for certain models those can be purchased afterwards.

Depending on your location in Ontario they may have detailed maps for you. I do not know of any that talk to you...even the high end Garmin Colorado

For many models water maps can be purchased ($150?). My Bluechart maps are great.

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend....you can get them dirt cheap now...$80 I think.

I wish I had a bigger screen, but, it gets the job done for me....it was useless until I used it for the water.

It sometime does not work so good in the woods.

Get a road one for the road, they are way better.

this store is good: http://www.radioworld.ca/

The garmin site is good to.

Do your research....but I think a quality store is a good place to finalize your purchase.

forrest

i personally own a garmin and have since i was 13 started with a plain jane garmin 12. now have a legend hcx with external memory long life on 2 AA bateries rather than 4 have topo canda sotware on it and i believe they also sell a depth chart map program, but if i were you make sure to get one that has an SD card slot or external memory so you can add all these programs to it with room to spare. well worth the extra few bux.

but make sure to carry a compass and map always!!! i forgot once and it was of course the time my bateries died and i had no others 90 miles from the closest community.

ive got a garmin for in the car but want to give it to my wife so she doesnt call me asking which way to turn :rolleyes: and want the handheld cause it will do everything. so how much is all this going to cost? the water, land and road maps are all separate? and how big of an area are the maps, north america, canada, ontario or just a smaller area?

ive got a garmin for in the car but want to give it to my wife so she doesnt call me asking which way to turn :rolleyes: and want the handheld cause it will do everything. so how much is all this going to cost? the water, land and road maps are all separate? and how big of an area are the maps, north america, canada, ontario or just a smaller area?

they come with road maps....maybe not the ones you want. check the garmin site and then check out radioworld online site.

about $300 with tax is my guess.

I talked to the kid at BPS about the Garmin there and afterward felt dumber than when I started.

What I did walk away from it with is that when you buy the hand held you are about half way there as far as cost goes. Whether you have to buy map cards or download maps it is about $150.00 to $200.00 for each map.

As you can tell I am no expert and these things are a God-send, but you are not done spending when you buy the unit.

Jim

The newer hand held models will indeed take you to any destination with the proper maps. They won't "talk" to you, but will give you an audible signal when your turns are coming up. I'm also a Garmin fan. With Garmins Topo Canada maps, you get a decent topo map for off road exploring, and a complete road map that will take to to any street in Canada. I recommend either the GPSMAP 60 or 76 series. They are a couple of years old now, but many people like them better than the newer models. They'll be cheaper too. And they have larger screens than the Etrex series.

there are some package deals out there that will include some mapping but the majority only come with the major road systems, no POI's , and low or no street level detail.

yes, each map type is sold as a separate add-on. Most street and topo are sold as continental regions or entire countries with the exception of a few very highly detailed packages, meanwhile, most maps of water cover very small regions so you would need to buy several to fish across the country.

I would say you're looking at $500 for gps + road map + water maps if you don't wander too far from home. topo is the cheap way to go for basic mapping but it's not the same function/features as street level or marine cartography .

garmin handhelds will talk if you hook it up to a laptop and navigate/route that way unless you're on water.

Edited by j ace

I talked to the kid at BPS about the Garmin there and afterward felt dumber than when I started.

What I did walk away from it with is that when you buy the hand held you are about half way there as far as cost goes. Whether you have to buy map cards or download maps it is about $150.00 to $200.00 for each map.

As you can tell I am no expert and these things are a God-send, but you are not done spending when you buy the unit.

Jim

just a quick note on that if u dont need something super amazing just marking some lakes and spots on the water u can get the etrex legend (blue one) at wal mart for 149.99 it comes with the topo canada program 4 cd's a case the computer cord ownedrs manual the whole kit so even if u want the topo canada at 179.99 at CT u may as well by a spare gps and other accesories along with the cd's and save your money!

The newer hand held models will indeed take you to any destination with the proper maps. They won't "talk" to you, but will give you an audible signal when your turns are coming up. I'm also a Garmin fan. With Garmins Topo Canada maps, you get a decent topo map for off road exploring, and a complete road map that will take to to any street in Canada. I recommend either the GPSMAP 60 or 76 series. They are a couple of years old now, but many people like them better than the newer models. They'll be cheaper too. And they have larger screens than the Etrex series.

i work with the MNr as a firefighter dan and the 76 series are starting to have some problems we are hard on them as well but black screens grey screens with a line through them having to turn them off then on again to get a satellite signal as fot the 60 series the GPSMAP 60CSx is by far the best that i have ever used a friend has one and gets a good satelite signal in his wartime home in the basement.

Garmin 60 and 76 series have the industry's most sensitive receiver. I've got a 76 CSX, so I agree with Dan and Terry on the choice. The topo maps are incredible, showing every street in Canada. They are also unlocked, if you know what I mean.

It's almost time for the 2009 Toronto International Boat Show - Jan 10 to 18 2009.

According to the current exhibitors list, Garmin will be there. So will the boys from Radioworld (who I just can't say enough good about). Lowrance is on the list too. If you can make it, it'd be the best way to get a handle on things. There'll be demo units galore fired up, and none of the misinformation from clueless teenage sales clerks.

I've had a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx for a couple years now. Does perfectly well for fishing, geocaching & shopping in downtown Toronto, give or take that when I get right down in the heart of Bay & Lakeshore, the super skyscrapers can conk out the signal. I don't tend to go there, so it's no huge deal for me. If it is for you, the new HCx revision doesn't have that problem - much more powerful, even locks in through the Direct Energy Center roof.

The little handheld guys don't speak, but if you can set your own VCR clock you'll likely be just fine. My Vista has several different and easily identifiable chirps/beeps that it uses to get my attention based on what's happening. You can tell whether it's warning you to do something soon, telling you to do something nownownow, or banging its head because you goofed. When action is required, it automatically switches to alternate displays that get the point across really quickly and easily. You do have to look at the screen, but it's a half second glance. Get yourself a good base that'll put the display in an ergonomic location. That's the secret.

Really, consider going to the boat show - it'll make so much more sense when the experts can show you in person.