GMC Canyon Crew or Dodge Dakota

Mattones

I thought I remember reading from Consumers Reports that the GM Canyon was on their list as NOT recommended. So I copied and pasted the recommended trucks from Consumers Reports and here they are which include full size and compact trucks.

All models by category Makes & models: A to Z Road-tested only Recommended only

Recommended Make/Model Category Latest information

Chevrolet

Chevrolet Avalanche Full-sized pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Full-sized pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

GMC

GMC Sierra 1500 Full-sized pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

Honda

Honda Ridgeline Compact pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

Nissan

Nissan Frontier Compact pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

Nissan Titan Full-sized pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

Toyota

Toyota Tacoma Compact pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

Toyota Tundra Full-sized pickup trucks Model overview | Road test

As you can see NO DODGE trucks make the recommend list from Consumers Reports.

I personally had many Ford and GM trucks over the years but never a Dodge truck because of the many problems I had with their cars. Bottom line I wouldn't go back to any of them for either a car or a truck. In June of 2007 I traded in my Ford for a Toyota Tundra and that was the BEST thing I ever did. This is my first ever non domestic make vehicle but it definitely will not be my last.

Now here I copied from Consumers Reports the reliability report on compact trucks. The higher rated trucks are at the top with the worst (much worst in the bottom six) being on the bottom of the list.

Honda Ridgeline

Toyota Tacoma (4-cyl.)

Toyota Tacoma (V6)

Nissan Frontier (4WD)

Ford Ranger (2WD)

Mazda B-Series (2WD)

Ford Ranger (4WD)

Mazda B-Series (4WD)

Chevrolet Colorado (2WD)

GMC Canyon (2WD)

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (V6)

Dodge Dakota (2WD)

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (V8)

Chevrolet Colorado (4WD)

GMC Canyon (4WD)

Dodge Dakota (4WD)

PREDICTED RELIABILITY

I hope this info helps you out. If I were you I would look at the compact models from Nissan and Toyota. One thing to remember that these smaller trucks SUCK gas while towing. The full size trucks actually bet better gas mileage while towing not to mention MUCH better control and braking while towing. When I shopped around I was really surprised that none of the compact trucks really got much better gas mileage rating than the full size trucks with V-8 engines, another thing to consider when buying. Also the full size trucks last much longer because they are built much better and have a better resale value in a few years.

Good Luck shopping, and take your time doing it. Remember with today's economy they really want you as a customer so make them work for it.

Have Fun Looking and finally Buying a NEW truck,

Bob

First off let me say I like North American vehicles and the four of them sitting in my driveway would attest to that.

However I would never buy a new one the depreciation is just insane even with low finance,employee pricing or any other gimmick out there a newer used model makes the most sense. The thrill of 0% finance will soon go away when you discover your new vehicle has lost 25 to 40 % of it`s value in the first year and you still have 3 or 4 more years of payments.

If you sharpen up your negotiating skills you should be able to get yourself a 2007 Dakota for 15 grand or so, let someone else take the hit on the depreciation.

As a added bonus you will own it outright and in these uncertain economic times having as little debt as possible is a good thing.

BTW I have a 2007 Dodge Durango and love it, my son has a Colorado and loves it as well.

It's hard to compare the Dakota/Canyon/Colorado to either Fords or the imports. They truely are a "mid-size" truck, not a "compact" like the other manufacturers make.

When I bought my 2001 Dakota, it was the only truck in its class (no Canyon or Colorado available yet). I test drove the Ranger, its Mazda twin and an S-10 (Tacoma was out of my price range, but I did sit in one and it was really small as well) and the cab space didn't even compare, they were tight. The Dakota almost seeemed like a full-size in comparison.

My '01 Dakota is running strong with just over 140K and the only major repair was a new tranny at about 125K.

I have a 2006 Dodge 4X4 crew cab, Would I buy another one.. nope!!! When Looking for a truck it was a GM or Toyota but with 0% I went the dodge way.

At 25,000K my brakes start squeeking, hummm take it too the dealer.. Sorry sir your breaks are all rusty you need a new brake job. NOT covered under warranty!! Warrenty on brakes stop at 15,000K. I was told with weather they sometimes get rusty do too the conditons. Humm we do live in CANADA!

Did some searches on the internet. Seems to be a well know issue the parts they used were prone to warping and rusting.

If you buy a 2006 get a full check on the brakes cause its not cheap too get them replaced.

I had a 2WD Colorado Crew_cab (same as Canyon, except for styling). The back-seat was surprising large and comfortable.

Pulled OK, but had some trouble at ramps with a steep incline. Also had trouble with sand - see previous poster's pics.

I now have a full size Sierra and couldn't be happier.

I've never driven a Dodge, so can't give you any insight there.

All I can say is that IF you go with the Canyon - make sure it is 4WD and put some "good" after market tires on it.

Edited by Dutch

If you are buying used and are set on a Dakota or Canyon, do an internet search on forums for these models. There will be a few useless posts, but by and large the major problems inherent to the vehicle will appear over and over again.

I like mid size/compact trucks and have owned one since my first Ford/Mazda Courier in the '70s. (a frustrating experience as the electric fuel pump was mounted in the left rear wheel well and constantly rusted out due to salt and slush)

Had three Nissans and these got progressively worse once the manufacturing began to take place in Tennessee. Had to drive the last one home 1000 klicks after purchase and had passenger visor fall off, wind whistled through passenger door, used somebody's barn to tighten and aim headlights on the way, and PCV valve froze up blowing engine rear seal.

Currently have a 2004 Dakota with a 3.7 engine. It has been an adequate truck although would not want an auto transmission with the small motor. If you are buying used, would recommend this year as it is the end of a model year and most of Dodge bugs have been work out. The 2005 and beyond are bereft with various major problems including fast brake wear and mis-sized axles. My dealer experience with this vehicle has not been great - every problem was 'normal for the vehicle' until the warranty ran out. Electronic sensors and switches seem to quit early.

Had looked at the Canyon, but major valve train failure in earlier models scared me off. Five in line engines don't seem to work well in any manufacturers vehicles and wonder why GM, with quite a few small V6's in their line up couldn't have used one of these....which is why they're broke now I guess.

The Ford Ranger/Mazda line has not had a major change to the model in 8 or 9 years and might be worth looking into as most of the bugs will have been worked out of these. The 4.0 liter has some problems vis a vis timing chain noise and wear.

Will be getting a Toyota Tacoma next....not that they are not without their problems - various TSB's outline buckling tail gates, sagging rear suspensions, engine ticking, etc. but few about the actual starting and driving reliability - won't be spending most of its time getting fixed for basic operations. (although why they don't put variable speed intermittent wipers on as basic equipment is beyond me)

Never buy the first year of a new model....and good luck.