Ronald McDonald House near Sick Kids - NF

nancur373

Hey everyone. My wife will be giving birth to our second son @ approx. Jan 19, 2009 @ Mt. Saini. The baby will be at Sick Kids for a week to Lord knows how long depending on if he needs surgery right away. He has some very serious heart problems. We were referred to the Ronald McDonald House by the staff at Sick Kids. We would like any advise or even just stories of the Ronald McDonald House and Sick Kids for that matter. Anything would be very much appriecated.

Thnaks in advance,

Curt and Yolanda McDonald

...Hello :)

I have a first Cousin whom was born there in 1981...my Aunt and Uncle stayed at RMcD

for nearly six months..on and off..for a couple dollars a day...they still praise it today!!

Here's why.... their Son, my cousin Denis and his wife Melissa, had a little girl there @ Sick Kids

three weeks ago...

Melissa is staying at the RMcD HOUSE!!! Denis still has to work and commutes from Sudbury on weekends.

It's costing her 15$ a day, no charge meals good menu apparently, no charge calls home or to family, there's always someone to talk to and the staff is awesome!

Randy From Sturgeon..

All the best to you and your family in the new year!!

I hope all goes well with your son.

Sick kids is a great place, in fact we just got back 10 minutes ago from my daughters appointment there, they are very helpful and have programs and people to help find you housing.

We tried the Ronald McDonald house but had zero success there, I know other parents who had better luck though.

In the end Sick Kids provided us a room right at the hospital during surgery and while she was in ICU and we were allowed to stay right in our daughter's room while she recovered.

Don't forget about your wife after the birth, it will take a lot out of her; plus the extra stress of a new baby that is not well.

Be sure you both get enough rest and let the doctors and nurses do their jobs, you will be less than zero help if you are tired and strung out.

Dan

My wife spent 3 weeks in the "house" at McMaster, during one of our daughter's surgeries. I have nothing but good to say about the charity. Back then it was 2 dollars a day with access to a stocked kitchen. You needed to bring in some perishable groceries.

Even back then, we could not have hoped to afford hotels for 3 weeks for my wife, or cafeteria and restaurant meals for that length of time. Hotels were not a good option either as they weren't near to the hospital.

They allowed the wife to be at hand for my daughter at all times, and staff there bent over backwards to help in any way they could. What more could I say, a great support for parents.

As others have stated it's a great place if you can get in. My sister spent a month there, 32 years ago, when my nephew had open heart surgury to install a valve at 6 months.

If you can't get in there... the cheapest Hotel (that I'd consider staying in) that I know of down town is the Bond Hotel.. corner of Dundas and Bond. $99 a night including breakfast and parking underground. Not the Ritz or anything.. but clean and liveable. Where we stayed when our daughter was in St. Micheals for surgery last winter.

Edited by irishfield