Outboards Up or Down?

Reel Trouble

I have been boating for 40 years and never have had problems with my motor in thhe spring time being in the upward position during the winter months

Each year I have several telling me that it should be in a downward position yet no one has givin me a feasible answer

What is the advantage or disadvantage of having your engine in a upward /downward position

?

Down.... and must be fully down and tilted in towards the boat a tad.. allows the hub/prop shaft area to drain. Leaving it up allows water to collect in there and when it freezes it can bust. That said... EVERY boat in the racks at the marina has the unit tilted up and a garbage bag over the prop.

If you are storing inside... as long as you've drained it fully first.. you can store it any way you like.

Over the years,when the boat,boats needed to be stored outside.

I will remove the lower unit and store it in the basement.

It take 15 minutes to take it off.20 to put it back on.

when storing in the garage,I first tilt up then pour either gas line anti-freeze or

windshield fluid in the hub them tilt all the way down.

I have seen what a little bit of ice can do.

split the lower unit and,or crack the hub.

I keep mine down when it's in the driveway..I use mine all winter and never had a probalem yet with freezing..I drain mine good after fishing, and if it's super cold I fire it up for a second too to blow any water out of the tell tale line, that may be in there.....I always change my bottom end oil before it gets too cold, and during the winter on a decent day, I change it again, just to be on the safe side :Gonefishing:

Down both prevents gear case cracking and minimizes stress on trim system.You can leave it up if you seal-up the bullet but why would you?

JWL, you are risking serious harm to your engine turning it over dry,minimum you will wear out the impeller or worse end up with fragments of it in your cooling system.It takes about 5 seconds at idle to fry one.

Down both prevents gear case cracking and minimizes stress on trim system.You can leave it up if you seal-up the bullet but why would you?

JWL, you are risking serious harm to your engine turning it over dry,minimum you will wear out the impeller or worse end up with fragments of it in your cooling system.It takes about 5 seconds at idle to fry one.

I know tonnes of guys who do this..and it's just for a split second immediately after the boat is taken out of the water....just a winter precaution I make...not every time, but when it is so cold out side that stuff flash freezes the instant you take the boat out of the water....everyone has thier own opinions on certain things when it comes to cold weather fishing..alot of people won't even use thier boats in the winter..myself...what ever I am doing ,I must be doing it okay because I have had the boat for 5 1/2 years and haven't had to sink a penny into it for anything besides a new battery for the bowmount this year :dunno:

When there is any risk of freezing I make sure to let gravity drain it as a few different angles (maybe I will start following JWLs lead). Then store it down.

If the motor is exposed the lower unit needs be wrapped so as water cannot get in (deep snow, snow, rain...etc)

As per JWL blowing the water out. The merc manual states not so use a lot of water pressure when flushing the engine via the hose attachment....in case seals get blown......is there a way to use externally compressed air to clear out the water?

forrest

PS: just had a good marketing idea: sell a lower unit sock with electric heating. Has it been done?

Edited by forrest

I know tonnes of guys who do this..and it's just for a split second immediately after the boat is taken out of the water....just a winter precaution I make...not every time, but when it is so cold out side that stuff flash freezes the instant you take the boat out of the water....everyone has thier own opinions on certain things when it comes to cold weather fishing..alot of people won't even use thier boats in the winter..myself...what ever I am doing ,I must be doing it okay because I have had the boat for 5 1/2 years and haven't had to sink a penny into it for anything besides a new battery for the bowmount this year :dunno:

Correct, and for only run it for about a second is all that is required