Quality vs Price

Fisherman

Took a drive to the Big Store at Vaughn this morning to pick up a few items going under the tree. Then made my way over to the portable huts and had a sit down in each one, check price, quality of material, etc. A little sign on each one says, "If used, don't return to B Pro", sounds like good customer service, eh? Then took a look at the "Red " store brand, unless you're a vertically challenged person, you're not getting into it. Then taking a hard look at the workmanship, ie, stiching of the seams on the material and quality of the sled and the cheap seat, ya, tells you where it's from. Surprisingly, even the insulated Clam didn't impress me, when inside, the quilt stitching looks like checkerboard pinholes throughout the material, not too good. The only one I would have taken regarding price and quality of tent material was the Team Wild 2, made by Otter. Just an opinion and I know everyone has one, but, before you buy, take a real hard look, 'cause there's no bringing them back.

Thats what I noticed about the Clam huts this year. I have a 5600 that I'm selling so I went ot 2 stores to check prices. They are made in china now, not the US and the material seems very inferior. Guess they need to cut back as well.

I bought a Clam guide last year and there are three seams that have torn, and it was only bought last season. I have a buddy that had a frame from an old CLam, and since he does boat covers he decided to make a custom cover for the Clam. About 6 years have passed and his cover is showing no sign of stitching problem. Goes to show you get what you pay for. it probably would cover about $500 to $800 for him to make a cover. So when you buy any of those huts made in China. There is a reason the manufacturers sell replacement covers.

I hope to have him make me a custom cover when this is shot.

just my 2 cents

PS his shop is in Brampton

a very good point of discussion for me . my hut is a homemade collapsible model [which i've used for 8 yrs.] plywood floor ,sides with a tarp half round roof. works great but it's gettin' a bit on the heavy side , ya know? good points to hit on for a newbie with regards to factory collapsibles .a great heads-up .

Or Canadian Tire!! :lol:

They should rename both those places, well along with a number of others to "The Store from the Pacific Rim" . I used to have a chuckle when it said Hecho in Mexico, Now It's Hecho in China..jeez

I think part of the problem with low quality products is that we have been monitarily bushwacked into accepting cheap garbage from there, and if consumers only take back a few items on return, well the mfgrs have achieved their aim, flood the market with poop, hope none gets returned. Took a walk are H Depot last week, cheking some power tools, even the better brand names have been hijacked overseas, and what's worse, they charge the same price as quality tools made in reputable countries.

Edited by Fisherman