Mitchell Lake

fisher

My search for a cottage has now lead me to Mitchell Lake for mid-July. Has anyone fished there during this time (or any other time for that matter). Can you give me an idea of what to expect - depth, species, ease of catching fish, etc... - the cottage is on the north shore of the island on the lake - facing away from the Trent system.

TIA.

good luck on that lake .your going to need it.that lake has been going down hill for the passed few years......flippen for largies is your best bet ....or you can try for some skies....very shallow weedy lake.....use to be decent but you never know,you might do well....good luck

mitchel is supposed to be closed during the ice season so i got no info for u on that. but i fished it several years ago and it was good for bass,small muskie and i assume huge carp that were jumping around at night during the summer. there was supposedley a huge fish kill during the 03/04 winter and i haven't been back since.

Mitchell Lake ???

Don't rent a cottage there, heck you can walk across the bottom right now, they drain most of it for the winter.

It has a huge kill off most years, a very big one last year.

Most of it is very shallow, choked with weeds, and is the most stump infested lake I have ever been on.

If you like fishing very thick weeds and stumps, and have a back up prop for your electric, this is the lake for you. I have ventured into it just to fish the thickest, weeds ever, had a good size bass on. The electric kept getting bogged down in the mats.

Edited by Entropy

fisher,if you decide to take the cottage and have a boat just take a ride down the canal into Balsam lake.It's only about ten minutes and you don't go thru any locks.Lots of fishing right around the entrance area-bass,walleye possible musky and lots of panfish.Work the weed edges.Might have to go out early/late in the day anyway on either lake depending on the boat traffic to have any success.Good Luck on your choice.

Kerry

fisher,if you decide to take the cottage and have a boat just take a ride down the canal into Balsam lake.It's only about ten minutes and you don't go thru any locks.Lots of fishing right around the entrance area-bass,walleye possible musky and lots of panfish.Work the weed edges.Might have to go out early/late in the day anyway on either lake depending on the boat traffic to have any success.Good Luck on your choice.

Kerry

i agree, with kerry

balsam is a good bet as is canal to a lesser degree(short ride the other way). mitchell is definately not known as a fish factory.

Mitchell Lake:

2 Miles away from Balsam Lake. Mitchell is under 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide with some dense weed growth and many submerged stumps.

mitchelllake.jpg

I never fished it but it looks great as Rich said.

dsn

We've got some relatives on Balsam, I asked them about Mitchell because it does look good from the road! They said pretty much what you've been hearing here..."good from far, but far from good". Give it a shot and if it doesn't pan out there are many lakes a very short distance away, make your holiday a bit of an exploring adventure!

Once again, the information from this board and its posters is soooo invaluable and very much appreciated. In the old days, it would be a hit and miss, unless you were fotunate enough to know someone who fished a certain lake you needed info on.

Since my dad and I are looking for some decent fishing (while also trying to find a half decent cottage for the women), I think we will pass on this one. I was thinking of the option of boating to Balsam, but we need a lake where we can fish in and around the cottage with some success for the sake of my 3 year old ... my son's enthusiasm about spending his time on a boat can change from one minute to the next - so I would hate to be far away and have to leave on account of him every time.

So the search continues....