To cold for kayak?

purekgw

well i dont have any float suit or any thing but i wont be that far from shore and sadly none of my fishing buddy's have a kayak

Ask the water cops how long before your muscles cannot work proper if you go in. Then ask what your life expectancy is if you go in.

I bet its not long.

forrest

i was thinkin also of putting the kayak out one more time but Erie has been so windy and wavy i said forget it. sucks sometimes being 3 blocks from the lake and can't use the yak. And i have a float suit and don't think i would go in this time of year.

He was anything but foolish.

Unfortunately, mother nature teamed with a great lake proved that you can never fully prepare for what they throw at you. I wouldn't be caught out there in frigid temps in a kayak.

However, I did once see Sleded swim across the channel at Hoover's Marina in a floater suit at the beginning of March. :lol:

Not to worry Pure unless you make a habit of falling out of your kayak. There's always the drysuit debate, but that is generally when going out into the lake. If your just paddling around near shore, you can still be very safe with your chest waders and a waist belt and of course your PFD on top. The pressure of the water on the waders is more than sufficient to not allow even a trickle inside when the waist belt is on.

Its been proven more than once. here's the most recent video -

Of course common sense toward weather and waves is really where you make your decision here. Paddling with another as suggested above is never a bad idea either.

I paddle and fish from ice-off to ice-up and have since 2001 and have never come close to landing in the drink.

My other suggestion would be that if you aren't confident in your skills, then don't do it.

It has been nearly a year since the kayak fishing community lost one of our greatest ambassadors, Serge Lapointe (aka Titowoody). He was a very experienced kayaker with the proper cold weather gear on but did venture out alone. A freak snow squall blew up and a change of wind direction spelled disaster for him. I had heard someone was going to set up a tournament in his home province of Quebec with proceeds going to his family. Better to just stick to shore fishing, we don't want any more memorial tournaments.

Edited by jediangler

A freak snow squall blew up and a change of wind direction spelled disaster for him.

I'm sorry for the feathers this may ruffle, but I totally disagree.

The weather we got that day is exactly what had been forecasted regarding the wind speed and type of weather to be expected. We fished the gorge at Niagara from shore that day and debated before we went if it would be worth trying to fish with the amount of wind, rain and ice pellets that was forecasted. We got absolutely blasted all day, even way down in the gorge. It would blow up for about a half hour and then calm down for a half hour all day long.

The event of the snow squall could not have been predicted, but all the other warnings were in place.

I knew him too, although not as well as others. He was very competent and experienced, wore a dry suit, carried GPS and VHF.

im not going to be out in the open lake ill be in the shelter of a marina and very close to shore and i have never come close to flipping my kayak i have handled musky at the side of it and never came close but do i wonna risk freezing

Hmm well we went out for a drive looking for a spot to fish a couple weeks ago and a snow squall came up, some idiot flew down the hill in a water tanker and almost side-swiped us. Are we foolish for going out looking for an open spot to fish?