TV problems

kickingfrog

The only diff is the contrast ratio (530 has 20,000:1 vs 550 has 30,000:1) and the wiselink. The wiselink is the USB interface on the side for easy to do firmware upgrades. Mine is not called wiselink and it's on the back of the unit.

Edited by GBW

just went through this myself ended up with a Samsung 50 inch plasma. Like someone said earlier Plasma is the better picture over LCD.If you are putting it in a light controlled room go for for plasma. D o not pay an extra 4-500 dollars for a 1080 p unless you have a blu-ray player or plan on buying one. All HD signals for satelite or rogers is in 720 p and will be for many more years.

just went through this myself ended up with a Samsung 50 inch plasma. Like someone said earlier Plasma is the better picture over LCD.If you are putting it in a light controlled room go for for plasma. D o not pay an extra 4-500 dollars for a 1080 p unless you have a blu-ray player or plan on buying one. All HD signals for satelite or rogers is in 720 p and will be for many more years.

OTA signals are 1080P right now and I think that most everyone will have a Blue-Ray player within 5 years....it will take off like DVD now that the format war is over.

I still have a CRT so I can't say how much nicer 1080P looks over 720P. Someone here said to check out avsforums and another forum, that was good advice.

forrest

OTA signals are 1080P right now and I think that most everyone will have a Blue-Ray player within 5 years....it will take off like DVD now that the format war is over.

I still have a CRT so I can't say how much nicer 1080P looks over 720P. Someone here said to check out avsforums and another forum, that was good advice.

forrest

Sorry to disagree - but there are no terrestrial 1080P signals anywhere, not even OTA, Blu-Ray is the only place to get them currently. An OTA signal can be "upconverted" to 1080P using the TV's built-in scaler, but there probably won't be any appreciable increase in picture quality. All upconverting does is guess at the pixels that aren't there and displays a pixel it thinks should go in that spot.

Kind of like an upconverting DVD player that displays 480P DVD's as either 720P, 1080i or 1080P - still no where near the quality of a "real" Blu-Ray in 720P, 1080i or 1080P.

Also - take Consumer Reports reccomendations with a grain of salt - too many useless (for most buyers) variables included, like price, remote control ease of use, on-screen display/memu ease of use etc. The only reason that Vizio was anywhere near the top is that it is cheap! The only rating that should have anything to do with buying a TV is picture Quality. Like I said earlier - do the reasearch and you will find the right TV for you.

Sorry to disagree - but there are no terrestrial 1080P signals anywhere, not even OTA, Blu-Ray is the only place to get them currently. An OTA signal can be "upconverted" to 1080P using the TV's built-in scaler, but there probably won't be any appreciable increase in picture quality. All upconverting does is guess at the pixels that aren't there and displays a pixel it thinks should go in that spot.

Kind of like an upconverting DVD player that displays 480P DVD's as either 720P, 1080i or 1080P - still no where near the quality of a "real" Blu-Ray in 720P, 1080i or 1080P.

Also - take Consumer Reports reccomendations with a grain of salt - too many useless (for most buyers) variables included, like price, remote control ease of use, on-screen display/memu ease of use etc. The only reason that Vizio was anywhere near the top is that it is cheap! The only rating that should have anything to do with buying a TV is picture Quality. Like I said earlier - do the reasearch and you will find the right TV for you.

NO need to be sorry....forgive my error, its 1080i (brain is fried)...my info is about 2 years old....aged and faulty :blahblah1:

Discussing HDTV tech specs in a fishing forum is like discussing tournament fishing tactics in the avs forums.

forrest

Edited by forrest

the 1080p will only make a difference if you have a blu-ray player,everything else is 720p.

...or PS3 or Xbox 360 :)

Not like anyone can tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p anyhow. Although I am sure there are a few that swear they can tel the difference :)

...or PS3 or Xbox 360 :)

Not like anyone can tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p anyhow. Although I am sure there are a few that swear they can tel the difference :)

I can, one has an i and the other has a p... ;)