Scugog Jan 22 Report

After checking the lake last night and seeing tons of snowmobiles ripping around and lots of fishermen, I decided it was safe to venture out today for my first ice trip of 2007. Walked on the ice at 8AM and cut a bunch of holes in 4 FOW. 8:17 first fish a scrappy 15 incher. By 8:35 I had iced 3 more... a 16 and two 18 inchers and missed one that was nice enough to leave the lips of my minnow on my williams for me. Then my 20 minute feeding frenzy was over. Started moving around. After cutting many holes I managed a nice 20 incher at 10AM which I quickly released. At 10:30 it was time to leave but it was good to get on the ice again and the fresh "eyes' for supper tonight will be great.

Everywhere I cut a hole I had a good 4 inches of black ice, plenty safe for us walkers, with just enough snowcover on the top to make it nice for walking...no bare ice anywhere to slip and fall on. It sure is nice sneaking out through the week...only saw 7 other fishermen within a 2 mile radius of me. Beautiful and peaceful morning. A nice start to 2007.

The ice is shaping up good. Get out and enjoy it...but play safe.

hey I'm new to this forum so don't exactly know what I'm doing...but I know I want to get into some fish and was just wondering what you fellow fisherpeople know about the 'sandbar' area of Scugog..was out this morn and eve and ended up with a puny perch..about 4 feet of water...ice was good though, random thickness from 6-10 inches...missed a few good taps..anyways want to get out into some deeper water and find some green stuff...any suggestions or clues?????...by the way if any of you are speck hunters I can tell ya the past 2 weeks up haliburton way on the small lakes has been great!!!!!