A cold day out on the Saugeen.

BillM

Well, I played hooky from work and decided to hit the Saugeen with a buddy of mine. Morning started off well with both of us hooking into fish within the first 10 mins or so. After that things went dead. The flow was insane, the river is so high we are fishing holes and runs that have never been there before. My buddy Dave got into two fish, I hooked up with one but horsed it near the end and the hook popped. If you have ever fished the Saugeen when it's at a normal level, these pics will make you smile :) I've be making notes on river conditions and the corresponding hydrometric data, I now have an idea when the go to time is for this specific place...

op3akh.jpg

rcvqlg.jpg

35hfozs.jpg

2u7vchs.jpg

Nice looking fish!

Those real-time charts will serve you well and you'll just get better at figuring it out the more times you look at them. I tend to store a copy that includes two days before and two days after each outing, to give me a better picture what was going on.

Yes Bill the Geen is one hell of a cold place at this time of year. When we were young and stupid, we'd make that trek during the week after doing an 8 hour midnight shift (just like in the article I sent you, and we were those loogans)

One time I built a huge fire on shore got my self warmed up, when it was noticed it cleared the river and I went fishing all by myself and managed to get one before they came back.

NIce looking fish.

A