Fishing the Rivers for Buglemouth Bronze

Rich

Here's every bit of info you need to hit the "tribs" and come out on top for buglemouth bronze.

First off, tie yourself up some maple/cherry cured corn bags.

nov2208001.jpg

Next, find yourself a nice looking creek.

DSC00180.jpg

Walk the creek until you find a logjam. If today is any indication, behind every logjam or slow spot there will be 5000 bronze nosers. Unfortunately they won't be big, and the first one won't fight in the slightest.

DSC00172.jpg

Luckily, you'll find a deeper, wider section and hook into a scrappier one that will give you a run for your money.

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

Don't be surprised when you catch a bunch of these little guys in the process as well.

DSC00179-1.jpg

And there you have it. 1 hour well spent!

Was certainly nice to go take advantage of this "warm" spell.. good to be out without snow on the ground. Though my spider sense tells me that won't last long.

lol dude that's genius....well...well maybe genius is a little over the top, but I can't believe I never thought to tie my corn in roe bags! I think I spend more time trying to get my corn to stay on my hooks than I do catching fish. I'll have to give that a go!

thanks for the report Rich - I'm IIIIIITCHIN' to get out of the office - it's been a long week and it's only wednesday...

cheers,

UF

Thanks for putting this thread together. I would LOVE to try carp fishing. Have tried in the spring - see them busting up the bullrushes, but assume they're spawning and not interested in eating.

Any recommendations as to where? Creeks i might try this in?

Curing the corn -- how?

Rich, what type of creek are you finding these carp in? I know that I have seen VERY FEW carp on the steelhead rivers and the likes. Are these creeks leading into the big lake? or are they smaller cottage lake type streams?

Not tryign to highjack anything from Rich, but I live near Long Point and frequent the creeks and tribs that run into the bay and they're all stacked with pint sized carp. Fun on light tackle... I read that Big Creek used to run into the main lake rather than the bay and back then the steelhead run was much better....who knows...all I know is the steelie run either sucks or I suck at fishing them! lol Bring on the buglenose bronze I guess.

cheers,

UF

This creek, after several dams eventually leads into Lake Erie. The lower reaches are actually quite big, I can take my boat up about 3-4 km from the lake.

It's an urban community. I was actually going to take pictures of the picturesque setting leading to the spot.. Wendy's, Tim Hortons, Shopper's Drug Mart.. lol

Any shallow, warm or slow running creek with a mud bottom is a good start. I know a few spots that don't usually freeze in the winter that hold carp like this one. I just fish this one because it's a couple blocks from my house.

As for curing the corn cram.. I take frozen no name corn, boil a couple handfuls in cherry Kool-Aid (or whatever flavour you want, they all seem to work) then add syrup to the container of bags.

They run up rivers to spawn as well, these fish aren't spawning though. They're residents of the creek year round. I can catch them (more actually) in the spring and summer but never find the time as I'm always busy chasing other species.

You must be really bored... You should be fishing steelhead not carp in tribs man.

Sorry bud, but don't agree. Fishing is fishing it's all good.

Yeah I do a lot of steelheading but I'm not fond of being labled a steelheader.

Don't like to be pidgeonholed like that, I'm an angler.

Versatilty is the mark of a great angler. One fish isn't any more worthy than another.

(Nice post Rich)

This creek, after several dams eventually leads into Lake Erie. The lower reaches are actually quite big, I can take my boat up about 3-4 km from the lake.

It's an urban community. I was actually going to take pictures of the picturesque setting leading to the spot.. Wendy's, Tim Hortons, Shopper's Drug Mart.. lol

Any shallow, warm or slow running creek with a mud bottom is a good start. I know a few spots that don't usually freeze in the winter that hold carp like this one. I just fish this one because it's a couple blocks from my house.

As for curing the corn cram.. I take frozen no name corn, boil a couple handfuls in cherry Kool-Aid (or whatever flavour you want, they all seem to work) then add syrup to the container of bags.

Cool, thanks Rich

Never have I been a carp fisher...but I bet they would be hella fun on the twelve six float rod and pin!

You must be really bored... You should be fishing steelhead not carp in tribs man.

Say that in england.

Besides, if steelhead is anything like salmon fishing (shoulder to shoulder with a billion other guys) then i disagree. Love the fish...hate the crowds.

Would have been steelheading if I could have been! Been itchin' to hit the tribs since the temps dropped. Unfortunately I couldn't get there today so this had to do.

Don’t get me wrong fishing is fishing like Mike said and being able to catch multiple species is what makes up a good angler. I know rich fishes steel and meant it as a joke not to offend. Rich any time on the water is better then time at work we all know weather you catching bass, carp, suckers, walleye, steelhead it’s just good to be in the outdoors.

Say that in england.

Besides, if steelhead is anything like salmon fishing (shoulder to shoulder with a billion other guys) then i disagree. Love the fish...hate the crowds.

Cram carp are a great fish to target and I fish for them every now and then they have tons of power and are fun to catch. Steelhead fishing has less crowds then salmon fishing usually. Like I said meant it more like a joke then to offend anyone.

Sorry bud, but don't agree. Fishing is fishing it's all good.

Yeah I do a lot of steelheading but I'm not fond of being labled a steelheader.

Don't like to be pidgeonholed like that, I'm an angler.

Versatilty is the mark of a great angler. One fish isn't any more worthy than another.

(Nice post Rich)

Amen brother :clapping::clapping:

Don’t get me wrong fishing is fishing like Mike said and being able to catch multiple species is what makes up a good angler. I know rich fishes steel and meant it as a joke not to offend. Rich any time on the water is better then time at work we all know weather you catching bass, carp, suckers, walleye, steelhead it’s just good to be in the outdoors.

'eh Silvio didn't offend me a bit! This time of year it's hard to top the fight of a fresh chromer. Carp are the closest thing I got, so unfortunately they take up my winter river time more than anything else. I'm just thankful I have a spot to fish so close to home. :thumbsup_anim: