Question for all you "computer smart" people

Big Cliff

For the last few months every once in a while when I go to turn off my computer I get a message "other users are logged on to this compuer, shutting down will cause them to loose data" (or something to that effect). I have the only user acount on this computer, my guest account is turned off, I have my firewall on the max setting, I am running XP Professional, I have run my virus checker and Spybot several times and can't find anything. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have to admit I am a little uncomfortable thinking that someone could be accessing my computer!

I can't remember your setup Cliff....are you on a wireless network? If so, then change your settings so that the ssid is not broadcasting....that should help stop anyone from using your wireless signal. If you go to your explorer, and click on network there should be subfolders in there. Click on those...you'll be able to see if there is more than one computer accessing.

I don't know a lot about hijacking programs...hopefully someone can help out in that regard.

Edited by ccmt

Sounds to me that ur downloading something... do u run limewire or any sort of downloader software?

I would unplug my computer from all its connections, and leave it off for awhile. Maybe overnight... then reboot her in the morning. Go through ur "control panel" and look through applications that might make a difference.. such as 'accounts', which it sounds like uve already done. ALSO press control alt delete and open the "task manager" and it will show up what exactly is running on ur computer. It will tell u down the exact operation and program, maybe even how much capacity its pulling. Find any suspicious programs or applications, and shut em down. Be careful because u dont want to wipe out something important. but investigate. goodluck!

Setting up MAC filtering on the router would be the best idea. No matter if you had file sharing or not enabling... If a computer tried to access your network via your router and it's MAC addy was not in the access list specified in your router, they'd never be able to connect.

OK, did that, got about 5 files in there under "shares"

ADMIN$

C$

F$

IPC$

print$

Nothing in the other folders.

Can I just delete these and will this stop it?

That won't stop it because those shares are hidden system shares.... that's what the $ sign means at the end of each.... must be something else causing that behavior. Have you applied all of the recent updates from Microsoft??

Leechman

Cliff, this is a very simple way to disable file sharing on the entire machine. Not permanent and very simple to reverse..

Open the Start menu, select Settings and click Network Connections.

1.png

Double-click on Local Area Connection.

2.png

Press the Properties button

3.png

Select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. Press the Uninstall button.

4.png

Press the Yes button. You're finished!

5.png

As stated in this thread, the error is due to someone else connected to a file or printer share.

In the same section that you looked up the "shares" you can also look at "sessions" to see who is sharing what.

If you check the "sessions", see nothing and shutdown right away and still get the message there is something else up. It needs to be investigated because someone has access to your PC.

forrest

PS: there is a computer section for the OFC too.

OH yeah....I do not know what OS you have. If you have Windows 2000 or XP (may have to be pro?) there is also the event logs that show the history of who has logged into the computer both locally and remotely.

forrest

Edited by forrest