What did I catch?

mpagnan

Hello all,

Just became a member today and I'm very excited to gather as much info as possible. A couple months ago I caught what I believed to be a trout but now I wonder if it's a youth salmon. Can anyone please help me determine it? Also, I find the regs. difficult to read sometimes. Are there some places where you can fish for trout year round?

Thanks,

Pags

trout.jpg

Welcome I agree with rainbow for the fish as for fishing year round for steel yes technically you can fish year round for them in any of the great lakes.... and for a certain distance up some tribs. The challenge is to find areas free of ice for the entire year. Last year we lost 5 weekends due to ice ups in the area I like to fish. The year before we lost 8...

The best way to read the regs is to look at the exemptions, then once you think you know the regs double check with the MNR to make sure or you can try doing so in local fishing stores, but even they get it wrong sometimes LOL.

The interesting thing with this catch was how I was able to land it with all the Chubs and Shinners around. I mean I couldn't let anything hit the water without those buggers taking it. Now, is that a good sign in terms of a trout spot...after all they are bait fish? They were all located in a shirt run just before a nice deep pool.

Thanks for the info on the regs. Canuck2fan. It's the tribs that I have a hard time figuring out because I'm not 100 % of some of the streets they list. I assume 16 mile creek is closed...correct?

Ciao,

Pags