Garmin Street Pilot

Big Cliff

I had been wanting to get something similar for a while now but right after Christmas CTC had a unit on sale (not the Garmin one)... so off I went gift cards in hand to get one of the CTC ones. Well, it seems a lot of other people had the same idea and by the time I got there they were all gone and wouldn't be available for a few weeks.

I had a few other things to get and happened to stop in at Radio Shack (the source, or what ever they call it these days) and they had the Garmin Street Pilot on special for $429.00. (regular $600.00+) and the salesman was really on the ball and knew the product (that always impresses me) so I bought it. I have to tell you, I am VERY impressed with this thing. It is small but the screen has excellent clarity and the voice prompts are easy to hear and understand.

I won't try to tell you all the features of it here but when we were in the middle of nowhere and I noticed we were getting low on gas, Sue just touched "where to?" then "fuel" (it's all touch screen) and within seconds it gave us a list of nearby gas stations, their names, addresses, direction, and distance. Sue selected one and it guided us right to the address.

Sue wanted to go to a Red Lobster for dinner one night, she just followed the on screen prompts, typed in Red Lobster, and it listed several starting with the closest one then guided us right into the parking lot.

I can't speak about any of the other units out there, I have heard some not so good reports and I have heard of a lot more expensive units but if you are going to do any traveling I'd recomend this one any time.

Morning Moe! :D Actually as long as there is a street address, it will take you there! You can even ask it to take you by the shortest or fastest route, avoide gravel roads, toll roads, or highways..... you do have to be careful what you ask for though, at one point I asked it for the shortest route and it was going to take me there except a portion of the road was unmaintained (showed up on a map and everything). I just told it to avoide gravel roads and it recalculated for me.

I have been using the Tom Tom unit for about 2 years and think the world of it. I type in the customers address and off we go to job with the street names and the directions clearly marked and read out loud as you go.

Art