Niagara Steel

Mike Pike

Well, I feel sorry for folks who had to work today! I decided to burn a vacation day, myself, and head down the QEW to drift for Steelies on the Niagara River.

Morning was crisp and windy but warmed up quickly as the sun peeked over the Gorge.

gallery_35_549_15319.jpg

Fishing this morning could best be described as slooooooooooow. The few of us who dotted the shoreline drifting for Rainbows this morning didn't have much to show for our efforts.

However, I do have to give props to the fella next to me who hooked into a real monster. It was about 9am and I see his rod bent over so I wander over with my net and ask if he needs a hand landing his fish. He said he was ok but he couldn't budge this thing, whatever it was! It was hugging the bottom and giving him all he could handle. After quite a while, he was able to bring in a huge 11.5 lb walleye! What a pig! I've seen bigger walleye on TV and as wall mounts but I've never seen a biggun' like this landed before. Wow!

Anyhoo, I'd post the pic I took of this fellow with his fish but I didn't get his permission so I'd rather not. My apologies. I was certainly glad to have been there for it, though.

So, the morning drags on and no other fish to been seen other than a couple of young guys who were calling it a day and showed me a rainbow they had caught earlier. So that was, at least, promising.

Closing in on noon, my stomach starts to grumble and I was thinking it was close to lunch and Miller time when I finally connected. The Bow jumped once then tore down the river with me in tow, using the current of the Niagara to its advantage.

After running down the shoreline for about a hundred yards or so, I knew I had to beach it since there was nobody else around with a net and I wasn't able to bring my net with me during the chase. So I got the Bow to shore and snapped a few quick photos before unhooking it and sending it back on it's way.

gallery_35_549_22493.jpg

She was a real beaut about 7 or 8lbs and seemed to like my chartuese roe bag.

gallery_35_549_56586.jpg

They can certainly use the might of the Niagara to their advantage and I was really holdng my breath knowing that I only had a 6lb floro leader scraping against those teeth.

gallery_35_549_30567.jpg

So, not a great day for numbers but a great day of fishing none the less! Couldn't resist a final photo of the Gorge on my way home.

gallery_35_549_113970.jpg

Maybe I should burn another vacation day tomorrow???

Cheers!

it is just getting started down here, i would wait a week or so to burn your vacation day and then you wil more than likely get into the numbers. But good job drifting in the niagara can be tough, thats why i switched to float fishing instead of drifting..LOL

Hey misfish, I was surprised by the fall colours too! Just a half hour drive south and couple of degrees warmer and WOW! The fall colours are still happening down Niagara way!

And charlied, your floating saves you $$$ on tackle too, eh? Bottom bouncing means re-tying and often! It's always a battle: how to get the bait right in front of their noses!

Edited by Mike Pike

Hey misfish, I was surprised by the fall colours too! Just a half hour drive south and couple of degrees warmer and WOW! The fall colours are still happening down Niagara way!

And charlied, your floating saves you $$$ on tackle too, eh? Bottom bouncing means re-tying and often! It's always a battle: how to get the bait right in front of their noses!

well sometimes cheaper....$140 for rod and reel for bouncin and over $500 for rod and reel to float fish...LOL. But I get 10-15 times more fish on most trips....so i guess it is a wash...LOL

nice going on the fish, The river can be fussy sometimes about letting up her fish. You never know what the next big one is going to be sometimes out of there. Hopefully the bite picks up a bit, I am heading down there in my boat this afternoon :Gonefishing:

I went woodcock hunting Tuesday afternoon with a lower river guide. He had his clients limit out before noon and met us on Grand Island by 1:30pm for a great day hunting. Flushed 12 birds and came home with 8

BTW he said he hasn't even had to go up into Devil Hole for his limits. I can't give you exact area he was fishing as respect to him as a friend but at least that eliminates on area off the river.