Question of gear Ratio for baitcasters

bassin

Two years ago, I purchased a Curado with gear ratio of 5.0:1. I used it for pitching and flipping. I often found that when I detected a fish strike, the gear ratio is not big enough for me to reel in slack quick and thus ended up losing fish.

My other baitcasters have ratio of 6.0:1. I am fine with them for pitching, casting and cranking. I just bought another Curado with gear ratio of 7.0:1. I intend to use it exclusively for pitching and flipping.

I can trade in my old Curado, but wonder whether I can match it with my cranking rod for the use of crankbaits. I know low gear baitcaster is good for bottom fishing and trolling. What about cranking? The cranking rod has moderate fast tip and I think smaller gear ratio and slower retrieval speed reel may be a perfect match. Would like to know from your experience. Thanks.

While my Musky reel was at the doctor, I once put a 6 to 1 Chronarch on a musky rod and tried to use it to crank Bucktails.

The drag from those big baits made it very hard to reel them in. I thought I was going to sprain my wrist.

Take it from me, your 5 to 1's will be your favourite reel whenever you are using big baits and deep divers.

Garry2R's

THe curado 5:0:1 reels are great for slow rolling bigger blades on spinnerbaits and is awesome for bigger wakebaits or cranks. I even have the 3 speeds fromk shimano as well. You can get by with a normal 6 speed reel its much nicer and easier on your arms with these when you use a technique such as slow rolling or cranking. I love my 5 ratio reels for swimbaits like the Giron and Matt lures

Lower gear ratio tends to be better for cranking, coupled with a soft action rod. Could also use it for topwater fishing.

This post has me wondering. In these days of technology, why has nobody invented a variable speed baitcaster?

Edited by Rich