Steelhead from the East

Paulus

Well,

I was going to go to some of Solopaddlers favourite haunts today, but balked at the last minute.

Instead, I fished a few rivers close to home. Weatherwise, duuuuh :wallbash: it was disastrous. Sometimes the wind was so heavy that I had to pull my rod apart just to cut down on the resistance. I had my casts blown back in my face several times! Nonetheless, I persevered and caught a few. Here are some of the results...

First fish of the day:

PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

OOOPS! I almost stepped on this little guy. At first I thought he was a piece of bark on the shore, but my Steelheader senses were tingling. Lucky for him! He posed for the camera and I was on my way. Note the "Lord of the Rings" style finger nails. (Frodo? Is that you?)

PICT0031-1.jpg

Here's the biggest fish of the day....

PICT0055.jpg

Believe it or not, in the middle of our epic battle, the above fish decided to jump straight up into the air and down into..... THIS:

PICT0061.jpg

She landed right in that fork shaped spot. At first, I thought that that was it. But I managed to wade out to the spot & by pulling on the outer branch was able to squeeze the line out with my hands. I had to make several tries as, obviously, wading into the middle of a holding pool really spooks your fish! :asshat:

Finally, as I was walking through the woods on my way home, I came across this - as I thought - abandoned bird's nest.

PICT0041.jpg

I thought it was kind of cute, took a few pics and was about to walk off when I heard ... like, little bells jingling. Was that pixie dust? Curious, I looked into the nest, and this is what I saw!

PICT0044-1.jpg

Looks like I finally found my magical, chinook-roe-chartreuse-choker-bag source. Who says roe doesn't grow on trees ?!?! :rolleyes:

p.-

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It's nice to be reading them from my warm chair :)

Beauties! What is a little dicey weather when there are fish like that to be caught eh? Great pictures as always...how do you manage that :)

Bly, that's 80% luck, 10% technique, 10% skill. I snap as many as possible, as circumstances permit - that's it. I actually need a new camera, since this one (Minolta Z1) is old and has had a little (uh... a LOT) too much water get into the lens. It went for a dip in the Credit river a couple of years ago. The camera miraculously survived, but the water left some nasty spots in the lens. If the sun is shining in the lens, the shot is a complete waste.

Nice job buddy!

Remember Richard's miracle hen from a few years back? I think you've got him beat :D .

Dooood! you have no idea! In fact you would've laughed your head off to see me trying to get that line out of there. I can't believe it held, actually. In fact, I have to put new line on my reel now. I must have scratched and scraped about 30 yards of it. Check out my blog (http://theaveragesteelheader.blogspot.com) sometime tonight or tomorrow for the official keystone cop routine...

Nice report and pics!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

... but... uh, don't you think you need something in the "biggest fish of the day" pic for scale?

O great shirt-less bass man :rolleyes: - ye of little faith! Can't you tell by the length of the shot? She was HUUUGE! B)

ok ok... She weighed about 8lbs.

p.-

Awesome stuff Paulus...your pictures have always impressed me! I actually try to emulate some of them with my own fish, but they don't turn out as nice....haha.

Mike told me yesterday to check out your blog...thanks for the posting the link...it's not bookmarked in my favoutires.

Hope to meet up with you on the creeks some day!