Opinions on car GPS units please

lew

Hey Lew.

Whatever you do, don't buy Magellan......

If you are looking for a GPS, you may want to consider text-to-speech, I hear many people can't live without it.

For an idea about the best deals out there go to redflagdeals.com in the electronics "hot deals" area. There's usually a weekly deal on a GPS somewhere.

Lew:

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 750 in early 2007. I selected that model because it best suited my requirements - in particular I wanted a unit that would allow me to program routes (versus following the route that the GPS software selected). The mapping software with the unit was City Navigator NT North America. Unfortunately, that software didn't include logging roads. However, one can download the topographical maps of Canada and use them in conjunction with Garmin MapSource to create routes that include logging roads (comes in handy sometimes when driving logging roads to a new outfitter). I'm satisifed with the unit and can easily recommend it. Your Source reference has the Nuvi 750 at $400. It's available on-line for $365 at http://www.gpscity.ca/ I'd also recommend the following web site for reference http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/default.asp?_...rrentVersion=EN

Has anyone had any issues with the Lowrance unit mentioned earlier? I've been thinking about picking up one of 'em now that the price is better here in town.

JF

John, I did for a bit (less then a 2 hours but the unit had been off for 2 weeks) but it was a glitch tring to find it's location. The XOG is great! I still have my points marked where I went ice fishing last winter on this thing (yes this is a "car" GPS). It does a lot, has a bunch of options but if all you want is "turn left here" voice prompts then others out there do it for less. The XOG mounts on anything, has a build in batt. and can go most places where an std. car gps cannot (like in a boat with the Navi. map). in the end it's up to each user but the Gramin was not for me. Don't get me wrong they do make good stuff but it wasn't what I wanted/needed as the XOG was.

Geoff

Thanks for all your suggestions folks and seeing as Garmin is the choice of most here, I'm gonna go that route myself and right now it's probably gonna be either the nuvi 260W or the 265WT even though they're a bit pricier than what I was originally thinking of.

I find it interesting though that for marine electronics, most folks, including myself, seem to prefer Lowrance units, yet for cars most seem to lean towards the Garmin products.

Interesting stuff .......

I have bought a couple at RadioWorld. They are good to deal with.

I have two garmin nuvis

I agree Steve, I bought a sonar from RadioWorld last year and was very happy with both the service & price of the unit, so that's probably where I'm gonna go.

[quote name='lew' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:46 AM' post='260612'

I find it interesting though that for marine electronics, most folks, including myself, seem to prefer Lowrance units, yet for cars most seem to lean towards the Garmin products.

Lew, if Lowrance & Garmin teamed up and made a Sonar/GPS combo I'd be all over it. Hard to go wrong with Lowrance/Eagle for sonars and Garmin for GPS, no matter whether it's for a car or marine application - in my opinion of course. For us fisherfolk the sonar comes first so we go Lowrance and get stuck with Navionics..