Steelheading Today

solopaddler

It's not always about numbers of fish when it comes to steelheading.

On this day the scenery stole the show with the fall colours ablaze in our glorious October sunlight.

Today a friend and I walked a solid 12km (6 up, 6 back) through this amazing backdrop in search of fish.

An exhausting yet satisfying trek.

Oct112008003.jpg

Oct112008004.jpg

Oct112008006.jpg

Oct112008009.jpg

With the warm temp's most fish were nosed up into the fast water at the heads of the pools.

Innocuous little fast water seams and slots all held fish, (albeit almost entirely small skippers).

Oct112008005.jpg

We each caught a bunch of these feisty little guys, with micro bags tied in white, singles and light fluoro leaders being the order of day.

Oct112008010.jpg

My bud landed one decent adult fish in the 7lb range. I had another that shot upstream like a missile, jumped 3 feet out of the river cartwheeling and spit my hook.

Definitely one I'll remember...

The only downside...near the end of the day the tip broke on my brand new custom Raven float rod.

I need a new tip and need to get it re-wrapped fast.

Checked the Raven website hoping to call them direct and expedite the process, but there's no contact number.

If anyone out there does happen to have a phone number could you pass it along to me?

I'd greatly appreciate it!

Have a good one boys,

Cheers, Mike

I had another that shot upstream like a missile, jumped 3 feet out of the river cartwheeling and spit my hook.

Definitely one I'll remember...

A good show and dance is almost as good as landing them, sometimes. It's nice this time of year but with all the walking it can be more like hunting....

The only downside...near the end of the day the tip broke on my brand new custom Raven float rod.

I need a new tip and need to get it re-wrapped fast.

Checked the Raven website hoping to call them direct and expedite the process, but there's no contact number.

If anyone out there does happen to have a phone number could you pass it along to me?

I'd greatly appreciate it!

Have a good one boys,

Cheers, Mike

Mike, I did some searching for you and all I can tell for sure is that they’re associated with Anglers International (www.anglersinternational.com). Can’t find them in the yellow pages, either, though. This same thing happened to another friend of mine, with his IM6, and it took him a long time to get the part back. 2 months at least. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(.

I'll edit this post if I find anything else.

p.-