Old Friends Re-Unite

Rich

My buddy Craig who is like a brother to me came down from his place in Hornepayne (an hour or so north of Sault St Marie) for a visit with us these past two days. When we were kids, we used to take our little boat out largemouth fishing almost everyday. We both grew up fishing largemouth and loved every bit of the experience. Since he moved north - though new fishing opportunities existed for him - he has been dry from largemouth fishing for at least 2 years. He really missed it - and although my attempted swayings at getting him on the bay for pike, he really wanted a nostalgia trip fishing our two old honey holes for largemouth. I wasn't sure how great these spots would be in the fall, but I agreed for old time's sakes and played guide as we hit the water.

Day 1 was really like a walk down memory lane for me. This was my home water where Craig accompanied me many times in the past. Though he fished it quite a bit, this was really where I grew up. I knew this was typically a very poor fall largemouth spot but we gave it our best.

Craig caught the first bass of the trip on a tube jig in a laydown. It was really the only noteworthy bass because it was the first one for him in 2 years.

DSC00054.jpg

You can see the joy in his face. Like a kid in a candy store.

We pounded that lake for 6 hours and I caught one small bass on a senko (which was actually a fluke as my reel backlashed on me).

When old friends meet up though after so long, the fishing really just takes a backseat to the companionship and catching up. We both had an awesome time out there and couldn't have cared less about catching a bass. Still - in the back of my mind, I kept thinking "maybe tomorrow we should hit the bay..." as I wasn't sure how the next spot for day 2 would pan out. Though I had a great time here, I really felt like I had failed as a guide (even though I'm not a guide) and really wanted to get Craig into either a lot of fish, or one big girl.

Last night we relaxed, played rock band, had a few beers and watched some of our old fishing movies from when we were kids. We laughed so hard there were tears in our eyes. Heck my gut still hurts.

This morning we had a bit of a late start but after great debate we headed to spot 2. This was the lake where Craig grew up fishing almost daily. His spot, and he told me ahead of time just getting back to the spot and fishing it was enough experience for him. Bass were a bonus. I thought to myself "good, because the last few times I've been to this lake it has really been lacking!" I had major doubts about this being a fall fishery.

We invited Sugarpacket to come out with us many times but she was dead set on staying on shore and enjoying the carp fishing while we went out. Craig used his trusty swiss army knife to cut open her bait supply for the day.

DSC00062-1.jpg

Finally the Filth Hound was launched and ready to rip.

DSC00061-1.jpg

As we began working our first stretch of shoreline my hopes drooped even lower as we didn't even get a bite. We were using the same slow tactics that produced yesterday's bites. Finally we got to the only dock on the whole lake and I gingerly tossed a 3" grub under it and was surprised that the grub took off in another direction. I had boated the day's first bass. Though only a 10 incher, having success in the first 15 minutes rejuvenated both of our hope for today. As the second bass took the grub as I was reeling the bait in, I realized - these fish aren't sluggish at all. They're moving... they're on the fall feed bag! Down went the grub and on the line I placed the Chatterbait. Not sure why I grabbed it, it just caught my eye. What an excellent choice. I started whooping bass left and right just about everywhere I cast.

DSC00065-1.jpg

DSC00066-1.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

After I had landed 8 bass I was once again feeling like a poor guide. Here I was trying to put Craig on bass, yet I'm stinging every single one of them. However, despite my attempts to hand the Chatterbait rod over to Craig he declined. He grew up here and he knew that in the fall, he'd get some on a spinnerbait.

We passed by a big dead tree which was full of a big flock of turkey vultures. Seemed kind of odd to me.

DSC00070.jpg

Hard to make out from that pic (man I miss my old Sony). As we passed this tree, it was like the change of tides. The magic chatterbait suddenly became a paperweight and Craig's spinnerbait skills jumped into action. He started nailing bass after bass. I'm sure after this he felt like Denny Brauer, he was really whoopin' my butt. I caught a couple dinkers - as just about all the fish were today - and he caught about 7 more.

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

Finally one last bass for each of us.

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

Today's breeze had made navigating the boat difficult. We ran the little battery dead pretty quick so unfortunately we had to take the boat back to shore after about 5 hours of fishing.

Craig doesn't have opportunity up there to do any carp fishing either. Sugarpacket had caught a couple little guys while we were out so we decided to pack up the boat and set the rods out for carp. Craig's cell phone rang shortly after and right as he said "hello" his rod was taking off. He set hook into a bigger one for this lake (which isn't that big) but the hook pulled out quickly. Many jokes about not bringing the cell phone out fishing ensued. I was next to hook into a carp, a little guy but still a fun fight.

DSC00078-1.jpg

Craig managed this whopper sunfish on corn.

DSC00076.jpg

By this point, the sad reality set in that we had to leave. Craig had kind of a tight deadline to be at his grandparent's house and Sugarpacket was hungry and quite frankly bored. I can understand that after sitting alone on shore for 5 hours with only 2 carp and some sunfish to show for her efforts.

Craig and I enjoyed one last wobbly pop before he headed to his next southern Ontario venture.

DSC00081-1.jpg

Craig was ecstatic that we got into so many bass today. He felt it was the best fishing trip for him since he left for the north. It certainly was memorable for me too. You can fish everyday with all sorts of great people, but when you hit the water with old friends like that, it's an experience like no other. We had a great time and already have next year's trip planned.