Bilge Question

goteeboy

So i recently got my new used Lowe aluminum. i've had her on the water 2 x's now

and i've been having to empty the bilge 2-3 times while on the water for a day for about 30 seconds each time.

is this normal? it doesn't seem normal. this is my first boat w/ a bilge so i don't know.

so is it leaking somewhere? the hull looks undamaged. is it the drainplug being loose? the livewell? could it be backsplash from the motor?

i'd appreciate any possible theories.

thanks

All sound likely, but check with the obvious first..

Hull damage, bad intake/outlets for livewells, misfitting plug.

Best way to check is to put the boat level in the driveway and dump a few inches of water into it and see where she leaks out. Then check for bad connects on your livewell drains.

okay here is a picture of the bottom of the transom. can you tell me what each hole is. the plug on the right i know is for the drain for the hull. now should that be plugged in from the inside or outside or does it matter?

i think the middle one w/ the white screen is for the livewell intake.

but what is the one next to it?

thanks for all your help

P1030739.jpg

okay here is a picture of the bottom of the transom. can you tell me what each hole is. the plug on the right i know is for the drain for the hull. now should that be plugged in from the inside or outside or does it matter?

i think the middle one w/ the white screen is for the livewell intake.

but what is the one next to it?

thanks for all your help

P1030739.jpg

i really hope you dont drive around the lake with your main plug on the outside of your transom

Seems like the rubber seal around the livewell drain is cracked might where the water is coming on from . but when its on the trailer put 4-5 inches of water in the boat and look for water leaking out.

i can't stress check those fittings enough. even for people who have had their boats for awhile.

i launched my boat in dunnville 1 hour from home, and sure enough the fitting popped right off, my boat started taking on water LIKE CRAZY!

its a pretty big hole, i replaced it with the brass fittings.

i think over the years the white plastic gets UV damage and it deteriorates the plastic making it brittle

I have my plug on the outside, never had a problem. You might want to invest in this type of plug, http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0003000_200-3-5 I have used this for all my boats. If the one you have flips opened your done, the screw type I feel is more secure.

Just my 2c

Daniel

All good points except the "Hope you don't have the plug on the outside" guy.

Another thing to keep in mind is the livewell intake and outlet lines leaking. Before filling up your boat in the driveway - plug the intake and drain holes and fill up you livewell(s). Watch for water collecting in your bilge area. Sometimes those light plastic lines can crack from freezing with water in the lines and deposit water into your hull cavity. If they are leaking, get them fixed if you use the livewell(s) or just put plugs in when you're on the water.

i finally had the chance to do all the things all you guys suggested. first of all, thanks for the help.

it looks like it's nothing more than a leaky drain plug. i'm going to go and pick up a new one and test it on the water today. hopefully it'll hold up.

i'll keep you posted.