Environmental fees

holdfast

Went to Walmarts and I bought a Monitor for my computer and had to pay an extra 12 dollars for Environmental fees. In the meantime I had to pay to dump the old one at the landfill with other Items. What does my 12 dollars do for the Environment. Is this a Walmart thing. Is this a provincial thing. What the heck is it.

I beleive its for disposal costs, proper disposal to keep it out of landfill as in recylcing,...however, knowing that industry, its more of a cash grab than anything!!! Sadly ehough

Thats what I thought however there is no free disposal that I know of, and I worked here in NB with an enviro disposal ( Garbage Truck essentially) outfit who was a frequent employee at the landfill. Cash grab, You Betcha because my money surely aint going to the Chinese that leaves a Carbon imprint on the earth when they produced it.

Edited by holdfast

Its called an Environmental Handling Fee (EHF).

On a $1000 computer Monitor $12, computer $10

There is no profit in this one for Walmart. Found this letter on the web http://www.wdo.ca/files/domain4116/Ministe...e%2012%2007.pdf

Could not find anything on a government website.

forrest

Its gone up then because me being cheap the computer Monitor was 160 bucks before taxes, a fee of 12 bucks was added to that and from what I hear the fee goes higher as the product increases in price. These days of Lay-offs, retarded fuel prices, high housing and heating prices, 3 dollar bread prices, I'm really astonished how someone can survive on a pension. But when we give away money under the disguise as environmental, and it supposedly not enough, when are we going to stop bending over and dropping the Soap. Just outrageous. Oh just one problem with the Ministers letter, another handout as the industry ( Walmarts as an example, does not Refurbish, reuse, or take back my garbaged Monitor for my 12 dollar Environmental waste management fee. I just gave 12 dollars to Walmarts for nothing and I never even dropped the soap.

Edited by holdfast

Well hold onto yer ankles, because it appears as though our lovely local government here, read Toronto city council and our fabulous Mayor are considering:

a) a deposit on coffee cups (disposable)

B) banning disposable coffee cups completely!

They claim too many cups go into landfill, it's too expensive!

They want us all to bring our cup with us!

Can you imagine the chaos at yer local Timmies! :wallbash:

HH