Bottom of Bronte????

bucktail

Actually oakville owns the land and the other side of the creek is private for the most part

i can see it being closed off again as it was before because no one had any respect for any of it

it was a sad day when it got shut down the first time

Ther will be screaming im sure

hey hammercarp your telling me that a municipality put those signs there, but technically isnt some of it public property and therefore the ontario provinical law would superseed the municipal law. That one is a duzzy to figure out.

Yup that's it, only it's Federal fisheries laws trumping municipal. The sanctuary was only put in by political prodding from the fish hating town of Oakville. The bogus sanctuary gets lifted and their only recourse is pass a municipal by-law, similar to Port Credit's "No Fishing From Aug.15" section of pier.

Essentially such a by-law is unenforceable, if it's public land it's public land, and open for all legal activities there. I've beaten a ticket from Port Credit, you can decide if it's worth the headache to fight or not.

Applicable section of the Fish And Wildlife Conservation Act:

Obstruction of hunting, trapping or fishing

13. (1) A person shall not interfere with lawful hunting, trapping or fishing by,

(a) tampering with traps, nets, bait, firearms or any other thing used for hunting, trapping or fishing;

(B) placing himself or herself in a position, for the purpose of interfering, that hinders or prevents hunting, trapping or fishing; or

© engaging in an activity, for the purpose of interfering, that disturbs or is likely to disturb wildlife or fish.

Notice without authority

(2) A person shall not purport to give notice that entry to premises is prohibited for the purpose of hunting or fishing or that hunting or fishing is prohibited on premises unless the person has authority to give the notice. 1997, c. 41, s. 13.

You will be fined under the Trespass to Property act if you are caught fishing there.

Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act has nothing to do with it...

NoFishing.jpg

The city of Oakville is targetting anglers specifically on this one. As a result, they've lost my volunteer efforts for Bronte Creek rehabilitation (tree planting, creek cleanups, etc)

Get use to it fellas, public fishing access points will continue to be closed down/developed/posted as there are too many anglers with complete disregard for the environment (littering profusely)

Like all things in life, a few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

Tony

You will be fined under the Trespass to Property act if you are caught fishing there.

Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act has nothing to do with it...

Except under the Fish & Wildlife Act such a by-law is unenforceable, municipalities don't regulate fisheries, or anyones right to engage in angling; hence they do not possess the authority to enforce such a by-law.

I've used this argument to get municipal tickets thrown out from Port Credit, this is no different. Municipalities can't pick & choose what federally & provincially regulated activities can take place on public land. If it's a public park, it's a public park, and ALL members of the public are allowed.

It's up to you whether it's worth the hassle or not to get charged & fight it though.

When it was a Sanctuary and people fished there all the time never once did I see anybody come and do anything. People that were around me called the police but nobody ever showed up. I remeber last year under the bridge a couple of guys walking into the sanctuary with fishng rods were stopped as a guy yelled out you can't fish in there, and they said why not. And the guy explained to them that it was a sanctuary and if they got caught they would get fined and they said how much? The guy said 500 bucks or something I can't remember, and they said "we make enough money" and they gave him the finger and went fishing. That place is jsut discusting when it comes to salmon season.

Its like that because %99 of river fisherman are PIGS, so when you make a coment that the good old city of oakville, or the fish hatting town of oakville, and you wont help the bronte clean up, I have ZERO feelings for you, you may not have been the pigs but if you owned the property down there and your back yard was litter to the nines you would be very happy with the no fishing signs. River fisherman are nothing but litter pigs.

Unfortunately, though I can't agree with the "99%" comment, I agree PAZE. One spot I fish for salmon/bows on a Lake Erie trib gets very little angling pressure. The regular guys that go down there have set up garbage bags on the bridge and the shoreline below to prevent litter. These guys regularly take the garbage bags once a week and put it out at the road near their house.

Yet - everytime I go down there, there is STILL litter everywhere. Up on the bridge I can see non-fisherfolk littering, but below.. well there are worm containers, roe containers, timmies coffee cups, beer cans, everywhere! People are so bold as to toss it on the ground right next to the garbage bag, I've watched them!

These people don't realize that their littering will indeed cost them their fishing spot in the future. That's okay they'll find out about another one after and ruin that one for everyone else next.

When I'm down and the fishing slows down (actually it's usually slow) I take the time to fill a garbage bag of my own. Actually I fished it almost daily last year and kept it pretty clean. This year it's disgusting. Stuff like this really turns me off river fishing.