Project "chrome thunder" UPDATE NEW PICS PAGE 2

kemper

Well today I went to an awesome tackle shop in Guelph, and got great help from the guys there to start my project, a custom float rod!

Walked out with a stealth black St.Croix blank, stealth black Fuji guides, polished silver Pac Bay reel seat and matching butt cap. Wrapping is going to be black with a subtle copper accent. Im going for a stealth theme, not an over the top custom but anyone who knows their rods will recognize that its no off the shelfer. Ill be throwing in a little style with a little custom grip action, 5 inches of forgrip, reelseat, 4 inches rear grip and then 9 or so inches of exposed blank to a very small cork section then butcap.

It is something that I havent seen on a float rod until today when I was checking out some other customs.

Just need to pick up something to ream the cork with, and some epoxy and Im golden.

Ill post picture of the process until i am done, and I am expecting this to take a long time seeing as I have school to attend.

Edited by kemper

Looking forward to following your progress on this rod Kemper.

I spent a couple days in Guelph about 4 years ago and came across an excellent little tackle shop called Hook Line & Sinker where I spent several hours just gabbing with the owner......his name was Ray if I remember correctly.

He's got some great stuff in there and even if your not buying anything it's a nice place to visit and I'm pretty sure he had quite a bit of river fishing gear that you'd be interested in.

This could even be the shop your talking about, but if not, go have a look when you get some spare time.

It's at 380 Emerosa Road in a small plaza called Bullfrog Plaza or something similar...519-766-4665

Hesitate to say this, but regarding Lew's mention of Ray and Hook Line and Sinker..

There's a lot I could say, but simply he's one of the few retailers that I have zero time for.

If anyone wants to know why I'd be more than happy to enlighten. He's a snake :devil: .

hmmmm, I guess you obviously know him better than me Mike, but from 1st impressions I thought he was a straight up guy.

.....perhaps we'll let this die right here.

...........Sorry this got off track Kemper :wallbash:

Edited by lew

Just need to pick up something to ream the cork with, and some epoxy and Im golden.

A round rat-tail file is useful for reaming individual cork rings, if that's what you're using for the grips. Just be careful not to over-file. The rod finish should be available at your rod shop. It's like your usual two-part epoxy, but made especially for rod building.

One important consideration: if you're fishing throughout the winter, I'd beware of using really small guides near the tip because of freezing. You probably thought it through already, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention. Lots of float fisherman have high frame guides all the way to the tip. Assuming weight near the tip is an issue (and it usually is), I prefer to use single-foot fly guides near the tip instead of the high guides. That way, you can use a larger ring size to slow down the freeze-up and still save weight.

Best of luck,

Eric

hmmmm, I guess you obviously know him better than me Mike, but from 1st impressions I thought he was a straight up guy.

.....perhaps we'll let this die right here.

...........Sorry this got off track Kemper :wallbash:

Sorry 'bout that Lew. Couldn't help myself though for some VERY good reasons.

Still, I probably shouldn't have said anything.

Post edited.

Grips and reel seat installed, this is really going to a different rod and its cool to see it coming together.

Ill get some pictures up later today I dont have my camera cables here but my girlfriend is bringing them up with her today

med_gallery_256_231_50586.jpg

med_gallery_256_231_51370.jpg

I think its a little different, the exposed blank is a look that I like. Some may not, but hey thats why im building it and not them!

on a side note here is a big fat speed river smallie i caught last week..

med_gallery_256_231_51890.jpg

Edited by kemper

Beautiful job Kemper!

You're absolutely right about the purpose of building or customizing rods to suit your own preferences. I personally couldn't ever use a handle configuration like yours...Then again I'm not sure how many out there would like just 5-6 inches of butt behind the reel seat which I have on my rods.

it was an after thought for me too...AFTER i epoxyed the first part of the handle!

I think it will be fine...but if its not i guess i can make necessary repairs?

What are the odds that it comes loose?

It looks great.

Did you spine/spline the blank (or find the straightest axis) before setting the reel seat? It might come loose but then any part can come loose after use, I would leave it for now and not worry about it.

Yes, I did spine it although from the sources I read it seemed about 50/50 as to whether it was necessary or not. Seemed more important for rods that involve alot of casting, and as a float guy in mainly smaller rivers casting distance really is not important to me.

it was an after thought for me too...AFTER i epoxyed the first part of the handle!

I think it will be fine...but if its not i guess i can make necessary repairs?

What are the odds that it comes loose?

....You should be okay. If it does manage to come loose it won't be for several years.

FYI spining, always important for any rod.

....You should be okay. If it does manage to come loose it won't be for several years.

FYI spining, always important for any rod.

Thats what I was thinking...

and about the spining, what exactly is the purpose because I came across so many different opinions that I really have no clue.

I did spine the rod, but I do not know what exactly I accomplished by doing so

UPDATE:

a little teaser of whats to come...

Im really enjoying this hobby, and I have a feeling that by sometime next year I will have 5 or 45 more custom rods.

Its coming along nicely...

med_gallery_256_231_20424.jpg

med_gallery_256_231_70912.jpg

med_gallery_256_231_104331.jpg

Sorry about the lame picture quality and strange reflections, the lighting in my dorm room is almost non existant.

I think it is really shaping up!