Fishing locations in Waterloo area

Mahs Fett

Greetings all,

]I just moved back from Vancouver and am looking forward to fishing Ontario waters again... I got so tired of cut throat trout fishing, I was relieved to catch a little pike...

I am living outside of Waterloo and have had poor luck finding fishing spots so far... I am guessing along the Grand River, but where can I park my car and head out for a fish before work some morning? I have not fished rivers here in over a decade... I have read that floating bait, spinners, crankbaits, etc., work... Any tips?

I saw a lake on the drive to St. Jacobs, just north of town, and Puslinch Lake... Any info on these water sheds?

Cheers,

Mahs

Edited by Singing Fish Films

You got sick of cut throat trout fishing and was glad to get into a some pike??? Wow SFF, that may have been the only time those words were ever spoken! LOL Ya, it's funny what you can get used to, eh?

Anyhoo, if you like river fishing you're in a really good spot. The Grand River and it's tributaries( Speed, Conestogo and Nith to name a few )have it all. Smallmouth, largemouth, pike and panfish, even some Browns in the Grand just north of you.

Google Maps is pretty much what I use these days. Find where the rivers intersect roads and you can almost always find a spot to pull over and fish. It's really that simple. I like fishing bridge abutments, culverts, anything that channels and funnels the water one way or the other. Something the creates current or breaks it.

Waders are essential because you'll want to move around as the fish do. With flucuating water levels, where they were one week will not be where they are the next. Then again, if you're a Western trout fisherman, you already know all this.

I'll find Pike in slower stretches while the bass tend to hold in the runs just down from the ripples. If you find some bolders or rocks, all the better when it comes to the smallies. I love fishing both the runs and the pools just down from the shallow ripples. The water down from these shallow ripples or rapids tend to hold fish like a dam.

Puslinch Lake has some bass, pike and I think still a few walleye( ? )but my understanding is that there is no shore access but there is a boat launch at the Marina restaurant. Someone more familiar with the lake can help you with this.

Have fun exploring and welcome to Ontario and to the board!

... I got so tired of cut throat trout fishing....

Definitely not something you read everyday, cannot even imagine lol

Welcome to OFC SFF and welcome back to Ontario. Hope some of the info that Mike shared helps you out, good luck!

Welcome to the board,

As already mentioned the Grand is a good place to start. If you're looking to continue your trout fishing the upper Grand around Elora and Fergus holds a great brown trout fishery. However there are very strict regulations for that part of the river so make sure you're aware of them.

The lake at the north part of Waterloo was likely either Columbia lake, or the Laurel creek resevior. Neither lake really has anything in it.

The Grand also has a good population of Carp if you're into that, I've also heard that they're in Laurel creek reservior. I actually live in waterloo right now (going to school) but I don't have a car so I can't really fish during my study terms.

Visit the local tackle shops, they can probably give you a few tips.

Most of my grand river experiences ( K-W area ) have been prety poor to say the least even tho i have lived here for last 8-9 years.

Very seldom i get some bass but there is a good carp population if you are into it.

Trout fishing is prety good anywhere from Bellwood down to Elora but like mentioned above there are some strict regulation you have to follow. I see people fishing off of Victoria st on your way to Guelph, there are couple of ponds in there that hold bass and some other panfish.