Installing Seats/mounting system opinions

Shane70

Hey all, my budy recently picked up a 09 LEGEND Pro Sport Tiller, Talk about floor space in this thing. Anyway it is very plain inside, sweet layout, but in dire need of some seats. We have been looking around at the local marinas, crappy tire, walmart, etc. Our first hurdle will be to find some in the colours that path the LEGEND Black /white/tan colours now. Anyway, in researching and lookin at what to get for him , neither of us realised there were as many different style seat swivels, posts, and floor mounts. Some you just screw the mount with four bolts/nuts with a square deasign, and as some of you know some are inset into the floor by way of drilling a bigger hole.

The square base design that bolts directly to the floor and seat with four buts/bolts look like the easiest to install, but probably not a favorite for many due to the big diameter of the post section.

Please share you opinions and experiences during install, which do you prefer and why ?

We will be def installing a seat onto the casting deck which is easy to access the underside, also one at the back on the half seat where you drive the tiller, again easy to access underside by removing seat top.

Due to the huge floor space he would like to install another onto the floor about half way up, this is where I am not sure, as there is not way to access the underside of the floor to bolt the base in, or is this necessary.

Here is a pic of his boat ( these colours in my opinion are nicer than the old green. For what he paid I think he made out well

IMG_0188.jpg

Edited by Shane70

tn_gallery_454_122_20911.jpg

I used the swivel ease, 3/4" pin mounts from crappy tire. I like them. You can sit high or low by pulling out the 13" long pin.

Thanks for the reply and pic. Were they easy to install? Did they come with mounting screws/bolts/etc, or did you have to purchase seperate??

Kinda hard to tell from the pic as it is a bit small, but did you have to drill any big holes to install??

One of the reasons your friend got such a good price on the boat is because it didn't come with seats, but that's ok! Y'all can install the ones you really like the best.

I wouldn't settle for the ones that look easiest to install if you like others better, none of them are that hard to install if you're handy with tools.

The biggest concern for me would be the seat placement in the boat over ease of installation, where they work and look the best. You'll want to position the tiller seat so the motor can be easily operated without having to stretch or lean to far one way or the other. The seat on the front casting deck should be centered in the middle of the deck for leg room all the way around it, also to help "balance the boat with weight distribution when someone is sitting in it. The seat forward of the tiller should be placed off center of the boat about the same distance as the tiller seat on the opposite side for weight distribution when a passenger is onboard. You may want to go to a marine dealer and look at some boats that are similar with seats installed and take some measurements.

As far as installation goes, like I said... it's not that hard, but will be time consuming. Your best bet will be (and I know you probably don't want to hear this) to mark where you want the seats on the decks and then remove them from the boat to install the pedestal bases (this should be pretty easy since you don't have a console to contend with). This way you can easily install your fasteners on the underside of your decking for the bases and it solves the problem of how to get to the center seat installation. I highly recommend using stainless steel Tee Nuts on the underside of your decking to hold the oval head machine screws (1/4-20)

teeNutF.jpg

The same thing boat manufacturers use for pedestal seat installation. They use these for a flush mount application because seat placement rarely coincides with the deck joist/framing and you don't have to worry about "missing" a joist with a nut and washer. If your screw is a little long and sticks past the Tee nut after installation, cut it off flush with a small grinder or Dremel.

A lot of people don't understand the stresses (acceleration, deceleration, choppy/rough water, and the weight of a 200+ lb. person) put on a pedestal seat base in a boat and think you can simply screw the seat down to the decking with wood screws. Big mistake! This will only hold temporarily, and sooner or later (sometimes sooner) you'll end up on your :asshat: or in the drink!

As far as pedestal seat selection, I would choose a quality one with more than 4 fasteners holding the base to the decking. The better quality will add value to the boat for resale.

Remember, weight distribution is a key factor in safe boating!

I hope this helps.

Edited by GCD

You will have to drill lots of holes. One in the middle for the pin is about 3" dia. You have to buy the hardware separate. Get out the drill and giver.

Like GCD said the most important thing is to build it strong. A heavy backing plate with washers to make sure it wont pull out would be good.

That looks like a 16' prosport, same as mine. I am also looking at getting some seats. I will check your thread again. Is that a 25 or 30 hp two stroke on it?

Hey man, show me a pic of your boat. How do you like it?

I picked up some sweet seats today, installed them tonight. I will get some new pics tomorrow and post them for you.

What size engine do you have on yours?

One of the reasons your friend got such a good price on the boat is because it didn't come with seats, but that's ok! Y'all can install the ones you really like the best.

I wouldn't settle for the ones that look easiest to install if you like others better, none of them are that hard to install if you're handy with tools.

The biggest concern for me would be the seat placement in the boat over ease of installation, where they work and look the best. You'll want to position the tiller seat so the motor can be easily operated without having to stretch or lean to far one way or the other. The seat on the front casting deck should be centered in the middle of the deck for leg room all the way around it, also to help "balance the boat with weight distribution when someone is sitting in it. The seat forward of the tiller should be placed off center of the boat about the same distance as the tiller seat on the opposite side for weight distribution when a passenger is onboard. You may want to go to a marine dealer and look at some boats that are similar with seats installed and take some measurements.

As far as installation goes, like I said... it's not that hard, but will be time consuming. Your best bet will be (and I know you probably don't want to hear this) to mark where you want the seats on the decks and then remove them from the boat to install the pedestal bases (this should be pretty easy since you don't have a console to contend with). This way you can easily install your fasteners on the underside of your decking for the bases and it solves the problem of how to get to the center seat installation. I highly recommend using stainless steel Tee Nuts on the underside of your decking to hold the oval head machine screws (1/4-20)

teeNutF.jpg

The same thing boat manufacturers use for pedestal seat installation. They use these for a flush mount application because seat placement rarely coincides with the deck joist/framing and you don't have to worry about "missing" a joist with a nut and washer. If your screw is a little long and sticks past the Tee nut after installation, cut it off flush with a small grinder or Dremel.

A lot of people don't understand the stresses (acceleration, deceleration, choppy/rough water, and the weight of a 200+ lb. person) put on a pedestal seat base in a boat and think you can simply screw the seat down to the decking with wood screws. Big mistake! This will only hold temporarily, and sooner or later (sometimes sooner) you'll end up on your :asshat: or in the drink!

As far as pedestal seat selection, I would choose a quality one with more than 4 fasteners holding the base to the decking. The better quality will add value to the boat for resale.

Remember, weight distribution is a key factor in safe boating!

I hope this helps.

WOW, I appreciate all the time you took putting into this post, unfortunately rather than being in here reading this great and informative post, I was outside installing the new seats i picked up today. My buddy loves it, he is also my roomate. I did matk the spots and then take the seat out to install. Took me about 4 hours to install

I will get some pics soon