Salt on tubes and worms

Radnine

Hi all,

I have a question about Yum Dingers/Senkos and tubes.

My question is: after the salt has rinsed/worn off, is the bait still good?

I have been using an O-ring on my Yum Dingers and it has made the bait last a long time. But I am wondering when you call the bait finished.

I guess (by default) I am asking if it is the salt or the action/colour of the bait that gets the fish.

Thanks as always,

Jim

ive actually done some dipping into salt lately and i dont think it changes anything. ive caught fish without the dipping and same with the dipping.

i say you should keep tossing em.

btw - cranks dont have any salt on them and they work :)

if you think it's salt, dip the used ones in a bag of salt.

a big part of succesfully catching fish is confidence.

I tend to agree with Raf on this one, I have gone through my entire tackle box "trying" to catch a fish to watch one of my kids walk up and say watch how it is done MOM and they catch what I was trying too...

Confidence is everything ... believe in what you are doing and how you are doing it and wha la, the secret to fishing is found!

Never waste what isn't wrecked is another theory of mine...

Have fun out there

Cheers,

Jen

Guest Johnny Bass

It makes a very small difference. I have caught fish on tubes that have only had one strand left and the colour was starting to fade and turning white. I still catch fish on em.

You can't really compare Cranks with soft plastics, next time a bass hits your hard bait, brop your rod and count to 3-I'd be pretty shocked if you still caught that fish, it tastes and feels unnatural to them, I'll explain what salt does to a soft plastic bait, , plastisol is bouyant without salt it will not sink, salt alters the sink rate and overall presentation of the bait-ex. the Senko-2nd fish bites on the bait-it feels soft and life-like salt also gives off a taste like live prey, a fish will hold onto and actually eat a salt impregnated tube! When you see a bag of soft plastic baits with salt sprinkled in, its there to catch you! Once sprinkled on salt hits the water its gone! I go thru a lot of effort and extra expense to impregnate salt into my line of lures for a reason-it works.

so Mark what you are saying then is the senko type plastic baits that sink faster may have a higher salt content? if so, wouldn't this be the brand we are all after? ;)

Edited by GBW

More salt usually means a heavier bait, a faster fall, but also a less durable bait. E.G. the senko. The Yum dingers and other imitations often have less salt and are thus more durable and last longer. And they're cheaper too. Yet I still only buy the originals out of simple confidence as Raf and Jen have said. I use em until they fall off the hook or more often until a WGSF grabs the tail and won't let go and steals the bait.

Surface salt is to catch anglers not fish. Think about it, what happens to salt on your hands once you dip them in water. It washes off. Same with a bait.

Charles

Charles pretty much covered it-you can catch a lot of fish on knock-offs with less salt, when I'm fishing deeper water an original Senko is tough to beat, when $$ is on the line I don't mind spending more for the confidence I will have when throwing a bait.On a side note GBW you can "cheat" and use a weighted shank hook with a knock-off to achieve a faster sink rate.

Charles pretty much covered it-you can catch a lot of fish on knock-offs with less salt, when I'm fishing deeper water an original Senko is tough to beat, when $$ is on the line I don't mind spending more for the confidence I will have when throwing a bait.On a side note GBW you can "cheat" and use a weighted shank hook with a knock-off to achieve a faster sink rate.

True but I feel the weight has 2 negative effects (beside the positive one of getting it down deeper). When you rig it texas style, the weight is bigger than the normal hook and makes a bigger hole in the worm and it falls apart quicker.

I also believe that they don't fall with the same wiggle as they do without the weight.

Having said that it is hard to fish a Senko deep when it is windy without a weight.

I have recently been using the BPS worm in a larger 6" size with as much success as the 5" senko.

Yes it does make a bigger hole causing it to fall apart, but a knock-off with little salt is already more durable, I also use a weighted shank wacky hook, at times.You will catch fish on these, it's really about your budget, etc.. when I fun fish or pre-fishing for a tourney I will usually use a knockoff, in tournaments I don;t mind paying more for somthing that gives me confidence or an advantage. I can see where a casual angler taking his kids out wouldn't want to go thru $40. a day in baits.

There are a few tubes on the market that have salt in the plastic. Phenix is one, just squeeze the tube and you can see the salt pop out off the plastic. Some plastics have salt in the bag, soon as it hits the water,GONE. Some of your salt-less tubes, you can put salt inside the tube before you stick your tube jig hook inside, poke a few holes in the head to let the salt leech out. Salt is a taste attractor, pretty well all living things like salt. It makes you eat more and drink. Can you imagine Chips with out salt.

Just a tip :thumbsup_anim: