St. Mary's river in Sault Ste. Marie

Paully

Hey Guys and Gals... I've been lurking for some time and decided to join after my buddy BeRad joined. I was a member of the old board as " Yash " I've always Enjoyed all the pictures and posts, Lots of great info always here.

I was wondering if anybody fishes St. Marys river in the Soo, I would love to go this fall and try to catch a Pink salmon, Or some Rainbows...Can anyone tell me when they start to run up there?... What to use as bait? Do spoons work for these guys or is it more of little pink worms and roe?

I've Heard that the International bridge (the one that goes into the states) is an amazing spot.

Im going to Sauble river the first week of october for some salmon and i hear there is a ferry that goes from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island. Anyone ever been?

Thanks for all the replys in advanced!

Pink run in the main river is starting up in a week and will be dying off (literally) by mid september. Buzzbombs are the local favourite though you can catch them float fiishing with all the usual flies, jigs, worms and spawn

Wow... thats a small window of of time to catch them. Thanks for the heads up!

Jumbo Perch will be starting in a few weeks too.

Can't wait

Kings are being caught at the Garden now

Haven't heard about walleyes at the clay banks yet

You can get bows in the rapids year round

Should be a few Atlantics around

Its all about knowing what you are doing

I used to live in The Soo for a while...they should be starting up pretty good in about a week or so...then it will be just insane the amount of fish that come through there in a short amount of time!!!!

Good place to start, but there will be crowds in by the Station Mall,MNR building,locks are at the dam...you will also see a few places along the boardwalk people fish as well at the little sitting areas built there.

BUzzbombs are the hot ticket for sure..be prepared to lose a few though. Anothe technique many of the ole timers use on the board walk is to set up a down rigger off the railing of the sitting area and drop a spoon or a body bait down on it and let the current do the work.

Be aware that if you are fishing by the dam area I mentioned before..the MNR office is right there and the CO"s will be sitting out there with a clipboard and ticket pad in hand watching that no one is keeping snagged fish, or fishing too close to the dam..or if your line is going to close to the dam as well. If you get the chance...just for a teaser..walk across the dam and look down...you will see thousands of pinks, and the big shadows of tonnes of Kings lurking underneath them.

If you want some hot pike action in the mix too...this is a great time of year to fish the little bay that runs inside Bellview park...magic time is just before dark...that's when they come in there to feed..lots of hogs in there

I used to live in The Soo for a while...they should be starting up pretty good in about a week or so...then it will be just insane the amount of fish that come through there in a short amount of time!!!!

Good place to start, but there will be crowds in by the Station Mall,MNR building,locks are at the dam...you will also see a few places along the boardwalk people fish as well at the little sitting areas built there.

BUzzbombs are the hot ticket for sure..be prepared to lose a few though. Anothe technique many of the ole timers use on the board walk is to set up a down rigger off the railing of the sitting area and drop a spoon or a body bait down on it and let the current do the work.

Be aware that if you are fishing by the dam area I mentioned before..the MNR office is right there and the CO"s will be sitting out there with a clipboard and ticket pad in hand watching that no one is keeping snagged fish, or fishing too close to the dam..or if your line is going to close to the dam as well. If you get the chance...just for a teaser..walk across the dam and look down...you will see thousands of pinks, and the big shadows of tonnes of Kings lurking underneath them.

If you want some hot pike action in the mix too...this is a great time of year to fish the little bay that runs inside Bellview park...magic time is just before dark...that's when they come in there to feed..lots of hogs in there

Now you're just teasing :wallbash:

Now you're just teasing :wallbash:

actually I am teasing myself too man, I used to live practically a couple blocks from the river and would walk down there fishing 3-4 days a week this time of year, the numbers of pinks was just insane....and that pike spot put out lots of 3 footers or so for me too...small window of opportunity and now is the time for a couple weeks....gotta be just before dark and that's pretty much it...spinner baits and gold panther martins...sometimes the pike would chase your lure right up to the bank..hit the shore, do a flip and gone :o I had some great times doing that :Gonefishing:

actually I am teasing myself too man, I used to live practically a couple blocks from the river and would walk down there fishing 3-4 days a week this time of year, the numbers of pinks was just insane....and that pike spot put out lots of 3 footers or so for me too...small window of opportunity and now is the time for a couple weeks....gotta be just before dark and that's pretty much it...spinner baits and gold panther martins...sometimes the pike would chase your lure right up to the bank..hit the shore, do a flip and gone :o I had some great times doing that :Gonefishing:

I smell a road trip coming on. Its been 23 years since I've been in Algoma country. St Joe's, the pool, even the wall fishing for whities.

I smell a road trip coming on. Its been 23 years since I've been in Algoma country. St Joe's, the pool, even the wall fishing for whities.

Lets go!!! I have a cottage on the St Marys I can use anytime. But damn...it's hard to fish for species we can catch here all year long when there are so many specks there that would love to meet me :whistling:

Lets go!!! I have a cottage on the St Marys I can use anytime. But damn...it's hard to fish for species we can catch here all year long when there are so many specks there that would love to meet me :whistling:

I certainly wouldn't mind being schooled on the finer points of spekkie fishing.

My father-in-laws house was in Steelton. A 10 minute cycle to the lock and a 5 minute walk to the rapids. A couple of Bruzzese sausages, a prosciutto sandwich and a bottle of homemade wine and we were set for the day.