Baitcasting reels

B Diddy

I'd suggest a daiwa like the reel Danbo suggested, lebaron's has them for $139. I used to be a shimano guy but have bought a couple daiwa reels and find them very user friendly with external adjustment and I seem to have less backlashes with them.

If it's your first baitcaster and you want it to last forever, GO DAIWA!! If you don't want to spend $140, there is a really good, user friendly Daiwa reel for $109 at Lebaron, The Tierra, smooth, light, easy to cast, but it doesn`t come close to the Advantage super tuned. You will own your daiwas forever.

I have owned a number of different baitcast reels and my pearl of wisdom is this: better reels make using them easier and cheap ones will frustrate the s_it out of you. I would spend a few extra dollars and buy a Shimano. I have a fleet of curado's and they are the best, most durable, and easiest reels I have ever used. Say nothing of the fact of how durable they are. Can't speak for Daiwa but stay away from Abu and especially Quantum.

All good names mentioned above. I've always loved Shimano baitcasters, but they're expensive. I've had a Browing that I've had for well over 10 year now that I love but is starting to show its age, and a really old team Diawa which was a good reel in its day, and now I recently added a Quanutm Accurist that is now a couple years old and I just bought a bass pro shops reel. I haven't used the bass pro one yet very much but it seems like a pretty nice peice for the $70 I payed for it. Just spend some time getting a look, a feel, and a little research on all of them before you make a decision, I'm sure most companys have some good reels and some bad ones. Also, keep in mind when reading reviews that the person doing the review isn't nessesarily quailfied and might not really know what they're talking about/getting into.

My advice would be look in to a cheaper baitcaster to start instead of jumping head first into a $300+ setup and make sure its right for you. I currently use a cheap BPS "graphite series" rod on my medium-heavy setup and it does the job just fine. The reel I picked up is a "bionic plus" and it was $69 in the store too, it would be a really nice beginner setup for less than the cost of just that abu reel alone.

If you like casting accuracy and using a heavier line, you're going to love your baitcaster. Good luck!

Hey guys....thanks for the replies. J

ust thought I should add that I currently use a Shimano Citica & Curado. First reel was a Quantum Pro 2 from many moons ago. That said I'm not new to baitcasters just looking for something new. My Citica is the newest of the bunch & the Curado was seeming tired. Took it to Aikman's in Mississauga to get it serviced so hopefully that will rekindle some life back into it.

I want to team this new real up with a 7'-6" heavy action rod (Bass Pro Extreme) for fishing Bass in the slop mostly also acting double duty I suppose as a casting rod for Pike & Musky.

Sounds like the Diawa may be a good reel to try.

Any other thoughts

Bill

I started off with a old Quantum Rippin Reel (yeah, the ooold ones) used that for atleast 10 years and finally upgraded to a Shimano Citica at the start of last year. Fished the Citica extremely hard and don't have a bad thing to say about it. It put up with everything, from bass to big pike without a hiccup. Started this year again with the Citica, but my oldman said he wanted to try baitcasting so this was a great opportunity to upgrade :) I picked up a used Shimano Calais 200. I wouldn't even think of buying this at its retail price, I was actually looking to pick up a used Chronarch, until a deal came up on a Calais I couldn't refused. Still the most I've ever spent on a reel, but the difference between a low/mid range reel and a high end reel is like night and day. This reel just makes everything easier for me..

Start off with something less expensive, then do some research and spend the bucks on really good reel, you won't regret it.

The Quantum Tour Edition® PT Baitcasting Reel is $110 the original price and is now $129. This is a REALLY nice reel - the only reason its so cheap right now is because the 2009 version is out soon!

at Cabelas

quantum-pt-300x300.jpg

Edited by mepps