Son's first Pike fish caught

bassfighter

Patrick, my son and I did not do too well yesterday as Patrick caught only 5 bass ( two were 3+lb bass). I caught only one small Pike, while my son caught 1 and lost another Pike. My son was more thrilled that he out fish dad than catching two pikes.

My son almost lost the 6+ lb pike. After the initial first fight with him, it went right back down to the weedbed, didn't fight anymore and stayed there for 5 minutes, I tried pulling the line wiht my hands but nothing seemed to be there, we did not know what to do next, assuming we have to break the line, we were surprise that the fish came right back out and Patrick help land the fish.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b.../IMG_0010-1.jpg

The second Pike roughly 3-4 lb was lost when the 6lb line that my son was using got wraped around the trolling motor this time, broke the line and we lost the fish and our storm fish imitation plastic bait.

It was a tough day fishing as we worked hard, the weather was not humid just cool 18in the morning, no wind in the morning and the sun was out with no clouds. I would call it a cold front compared to regular summer fishing. The fish were not active, even the pike has the lure just outside its mouth and my son was using slow retrieve. Normally the Pike would have swallowed them considering , my son was using small lures. The Perch was ony nibbling on our lures as well.

To cool our selves, while I was swimming close to shore I almost touch this 3' water snake,

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b...um/IMG_0008.jpg.

We also notice the edge of the lake turned into light Green color, and we assume it was the water weed killing chemicals that someone mentioned the MNR might have place there. There was tons of weeds last year , and many were not there this year. We normally do well on this spot but with the green chemicals, it has to bother the fish .

PatrickG will post his catch

Tighelines

He was one happy camper, he fought that fish to the boat and did very well i almost lost it trying to get it in the net and gilled it into the boat he was uncomfortable

gilling the fish for the photo "toothy critters" so i helped him out while his pops took the photo.

Guest Johnny Bass

Congrats on your son's first pike! And a nice one to boot! Watch out for those water snakes. They can be aggressive!!Thanks for sharing.

Nice fish. I can definately see why your son was all excited. He see's the numbers not the fish. My nephew always outfishes me when I take him out, mind you I have to work hard at his stuff, so I don't actually fish much. It's stuff like that that makes you want to get out right away again!

Inspite of the hard work and few decent fish caught by my son. He still said he hates fishing. It is probably his stage at 13 of trying to be rebelious. I remind him never to use the word hate.

I constantly remind him of this video showing the angler without limb, and inspiring story for all of us. We all should be thankful that we have all it takes to accomlish anything in life.

http://www.spike.com/video/clay-dyer-fishing/2826566

Edited by bassfighter