The Grand skunk has sprayed with a PB

HTHM

I was on the Grand......again.....trying to get the skunk out of my boat. I am drifting down the river, when the fishfinder starts to beep, and beep , and BEEP! The screen was covered in fish symbols, however I had seen this before many times. Ho-hum. Then a light tug, another light tug and then the rod bends significantly. Hmmmm, "I think I may have a fish on", says Captain obvious , then the rod bends in half and I hear the sweet sound of drag being pulled. After about 3 minutesI have the fish by the boat. My net is under my tackle bag, and I cannot get it out from under. Rod in one hand, free hand flailing away at the stuff in the way of the net , then another run to the bottom. I manage to hold the rod, get the net free and the fish back to the boat, swish the net into the water, scoop up the fish, and go "holy feces" or words to that effect. The 8.4 pound channel cat bent the hook and self-released into the net. My phone battery was dead so I do not have a pic of the fish, however a certain woman who knows who she is has a pic that she may choose to post in a reply.

This was caught on a pickerel rig with worms in 22 FOW on the last bend before Erie.

So for a repeat performace I went out the next night with my daughter and her boyfriend. I am very happy to say the he and I were skunked and my girl pulled in a 3 pound sheephead. We heard about that around the campfire all night. It is almost more fun to see your teenage children catching fish than to catch them yourself.

I was on the Grand......again.....trying to get the skunk out of my boat. I am drifting down the river, when the fishfinder starts to beep, and beep , and BEEP! The screen was covered in fish symbols, however I had seen this before many times. Ho-hum. Then a light tug, another light tug and then the rod bends significantly. Hmmmm, "I think I may have a fish on", says Captain obvious , then the rod bends in half and I hear the sweet sound of drag being pulled. After about 3 minutesI have the fish by the boat. My net is under my tackle bag, and I cannot get it out from under. Rod in one hand, free hand flailing away at the stuff in the way of the net , then another run to the bottom. I manage to hold the rod, get the net free and the fish back to the boat, swish the net into the water, scoop up the fish, and go "holy feces" or words to that effect. The 8.4 pound channel cat bent the hook and self-released into the net. My phone battery was dead so I do not have a pic of the fish, however a certain woman who knows who she is has a pic that she may choose to post in a reply.

This was caught on a pickerel rig with worms in 22 FOW on the last bend before Erie.

So for a repeat performace I went out the next night with my daughter and her boyfriend. I am very happy to say the he and I were skunked and my girl pulled in a 3 pound sheephead. We heard about that around the campfire all night. It is almost more fun to see your teenage children catching fish than to catch them yourself.

But what about the bass and the walleye? Sheesh. Catfish and I don't mix. They make me all squirmy and I act like a little girl who's seen a snake. There was a huge one used to lay in wait for me on a sunken schoolbus in Gilboa Quarry in Ohio, just so it could pop out when I swam by and make me go "Eek" underwater. It always had a nasty grin under it's twitchy little whiskers.

I'm counting on a Grand run in yer boat before the ice comes.

JF

OK great report you tease but time to buy a digy camera after all they are getting cheaper cause we love pics.

Now I hope to see some pics from that report soon.

MTP

Good point. He says he ate the evidence (HE ATE A CATFISH!!!! BLEHHHH!). I may have to buy him a camera to end these baseless claims. Right after I get me one that doesn't die at inopportune moments, of course.

JF

I am waiting for a certain very good looking, gracious generous, intelligent, all-round great gal to post the pics she took. I had my camera, but it was just rescued from the bilge and was not working.

I recall that I did post that little nugget ofinfo in the original post......

Great job hometownhandyman :thumbsup_anim: At 8.4lbs must of give you a great fight!!!

I caught a 5lber this summer in the river and let me tell ya that on medium light tackle....I though the rod would break.... and in the current made it heaven tougher to land.

Now cant wait to see the picture that a certain very good looking, gracious generous, intelligent, all-round great gal will post later.

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Guest Johnny Bass

Congrats and a nice fish to break the skunk. When my fish finder lights up on the Grand. I usually tie into a school of sheep head.lol Too bad I have a sprained ankle. My family is at Sherkston Shores on Erie and I could have fished the Grand every day for a week!!! Anyways, thanks for sharing and hopefully it will change your luck this season!

Congrats and a nice fish to break the skunk. When my fish finder lights up on the Grand. I usually tie into a school of sheep head.lol Too bad I have a sprained ankle. My family is at Sherkston Shores on Erie and I could have fished the Grand every day for a week!!! Anyways, thanks for sharing and hopefully it will change your luck this season!

Still trying for some wall...pickerel

Guest Johnny Bass
Still trying for some wall...pickerel

Believe it or not? You may have been trolling too deep for pickerel. I hear the pickerel are caught trolling in 9 feet or less on the Grand due to the murky water. Who knows, but thats what I was told.....