Sat Aug 2nd out on the Pool...

BillM

Oldman and I decided to hit Gloucester Pool again this morning. It was going to be an early day because we were sure the boat traffic was going to be heavy as the sun came out and warmed things up..

We were on the water by 5:10, early enough for it to still be dark :)

First fish came at around 5:30, probably one of the biggest smallmouths we've pulled out of here, the belly on this fish was huge, easily pushing 4lbs.

Gloucester001.jpg

Gloucester002.jpg

We have found that all the fish are keying in on the rocks.. A rock/weed mix with access to deep water has been the ticket for is this season for sure. We've been fishing topwater almost the entire season and have done quite good. The big weedflats that this lake has many of, seems to produce the best for us at dusk. I am sure some of you think we are crazy for only throwing topwater, but it's just to addicting :) I have a dropshot setup on my spinning rod, but it hasn't hit the water yet, lol. This pattern might not fill the boat, but you just can't beat it for the fun factor. We were off the water at around 9:30am, and went 10 for 13.

Nailed this little scrapper off a big rock flat in about 3ft of water.

Gloucester003.jpg

Next cast and his hog decides he wants to chow down on my Zara Spook Jr.. What a pretty fish, a few pics and she was back in the lake.

Gloucester004.jpg

We've also decided that the only fish making it into the livewell this year will be pike/pickerel. The bass are just to much fun to keep. :)

Edited by BillM