Okuma RANT

kemper

Last year I bought an Okuma V series baitcaster, which is a high end model that cost a lot of money.

It worked GREAT...for three days and then the clutch bearing crapped out of the levelwinder broke. After a few emails it was repaired on warrantee and put away for the next summer's trip. Well this year the reel worked great again, for ONE DAMN DAY! Again, the anti reverse cluthc bearing blew up.

I have been delaying this rant on the chance that Okuma fixes this slip up, but they have been ignoring my kind and civil emails for weeks. This service is CRAP and unacceptable! I got a grand total of 3 days use out of a $200+ reel and the company wont even reply to my emails?

What do I do? (other than replace it with a shimano...which i have already done)

That's a tough break, maybe have it fixed and try to sell it.

What were you thinking when you didn't buy a Shimano in the first place?... There's a reason that a lot of us here are dyed in the wool Shimano men. Quality and service!

Another life lesson learned.

That's a tough break, maybe have it fixed and try to sell it.

What were you thinking when you didn't buy a Shimano in the first place?... There's a reason that a lot of us here are dyed in the wool Shimano men. Quality and service!

Another life lesson learned.

I am hearing that Shimano is not standing behind product the way they used to either.... It seems that in a tightening economy that having to replace rods constantly for people who can't stop slamming them in car doors is costing too much money.... Our local tackle shop owner is pretty embarassed that he can't get Shimano to replace more than a couple of rods that supposedly have a life time warranty....

I'm surprised to here that.

I use a Okuma Nemesis with St. Croix Triumph for the last 3 years and is my favorite rod /reel combination.

And have never had any problems with it.

Sorry to hear the service /warr. sucks on it but would defiantly buy another,and hope nothing goes wrong with it.

that sucks. the reel turned out to be a $70/day rental. Contact one of their service centers (one of the very few) to order the bearing and replace it yourself. Mikes reel repair on the west coast also carries reel bearing upgrades for most brands and might be able to help you even though it's the roller you need. Not many reels have good anti-reverse rollers including shimano..all shimanos. :D

Hi Kemper,

Okuma policy is over the counter exchange........I would take it back to where you purchased and have them replace it.

If you do not have any luck I will give you a number of who to call ...............Canadian Distributor.

Regards,

Sam

Hi Kemper,

Okuma policy is over the counter exchange........I would take it back to where you purchased and have them replace it.

If you do not have any luck I will give you a number of who to call ...............Canadian Distributor.

Regards,

Sam

You're a good man Sam! :thumbsup_anim:

I have an Okuma Stinson spinning reel. Works nice and smooth with an excellent clutch and anti-reverse. However, after a 2 months of use, it started to jam up on me. I took it apart and lubed it. Works great now. Ok....it's not an expensive reel but it is quite decent. I had the same problem (reel jamming up) with an Abu Garcia Ultra Lite Pro (quite expensive too) that I bought about 15 years ago. The company re-lubed it for me and it has been working fine since then. However, in those days, instant anti-reverse in tiny reels was hard to find.

My Shimano Symetre 2000 that I bought about 10 years ago and have used extensively, works as well if not better than the day I bought it.

I carry all of my reels in small cloth bags and install the reels on the rods when I get to the fishing site.

Edited by Dabluz

I am sorry to here of the trouble your having I have been using the Okuma line counters for the last few years for musky and have not had any problems (knock on wood) I also bought a avenger 15 spinning reel it has been great since may and I just ordered 2 more last week. I have also bought two other line counters for rainbow fishing they look and feel great I will see. I know if you were to go to Angling outtfitter in woodstock they will give you over the counter replacement as this is what I was told when at teh London show by the owner when I bought one from him he sais Okuma stands behind there stuff. I also have another friend who uses just Okuma and loves them.

Hope you look into it more as it sounds like crap that you got so far I would put $$$ on the fact that they will help you out.

I snapped a rod before I left to come to greece and the service for me was great. All I had to do was call them in California toll free give them the specs and serial number and they said mail them a 2" piece of the rod with the serial # and 15$ for shipping and all is well. I will tell you how that turns out but give them a ring, hopefully they fix their mistake. Good luck

I snapped a rod before I left to come to greece and the service for me was great. All I had to do was call them in California toll free give them the specs and serial number and they said mail them a 2" piece of the rod with the serial # and 15$ for shipping and all is well. I will tell you how that turns out but give them a ring, hopefully they fix their mistake. Good luck