leaders and lures

bassmaster4

I am going on a trip up north with my family and fishing as always will be a major part of it. The lake i am going to holds many pike and i just spent a bunch of money on lures that i want to keep lol. So i was just wondering if a leader while casting and retrieving say a crankbait or an inline spinner bait like a mepps or even jigging, will it affect the action of the lure negatively in any way at all?

Thanks in advance

Bassmaster4

yes. I primarily fished pike when i was young, always using wire leaders, and i did see how it affects the action of hard baits like original rapalas. With the right leader and rapala combo, it will drag through the water straight as an arrow. I would recommend spoons if you're going to cast for pike. In the 20+ years i lived/fished up there, I saw spoons catch more pike than anything else.

more or less wire leaders will hinder the action of the lure. I find that it has the least effect if you use it with lures that is constantly retrieved (i.e. spoons, in-line spinners, spinnerbaits, etc). For jerkbait and crankbaits, the wire leader weight down the front end of the lure so when you "pause" it, it tends to sink the front end.

I have heard good things about heavy flouro leaders but I have never used it myself so i won't comment on it ...

Your wire leaders may slightly change the action of hardbaits like Rapalas. The great thing about that is: pike don't care.

Again Rich has it right. Pike don't care and even if you do get a kink in a leader and it makes the rapalas move funny the pike just might think it is a wounded fish and smack it that much harder. I caught all my bigger pike this spring on leaders that I couldn't straighten out perfectly. The more action the bait makes the more attactive it seems.

just get some 30-40lb flourocarbon. tie it to ur main line and use that as ur leader. you'll be fine and very unlikely to have a bite off with it. even on larger pike.

That's a little too light. I've broken off a few small pike while trying out 35lb flourocarbon leaders.

whats a little worse is bass fishing and hiting the odd pike, i dont want to use a steel leader bass fishing, what size floro could a guy get away with without it affecting the fishing, if at all, or is it best to just lose the odd lure to pesky pike? (i hate doing that to a fish tho)