Another snake

Cudz

Seeing as Rf posted some cool pics of that Mass ratler, I thought I would show this. I was at a cottage the other day and I saw this snake on the dock. As I approached it swam away into the water. This thing is not small and looks nasty. Anyway I walk to the end of the dock and the snake doubles back on me and climbs (somehow) onto the dock. The stupid thing starts coming toward me and I am on the end of the dock. Are you kidding me. LOL. My friends a the other end of the dock are peeing themselves because I am stuck with the snake between me and the land. After a 20 second standoff I decided to jump over it. I ran toward it and jumped over it. It may be a stretch but I think it tried to bite me during the jump (luckily I have good up). I was laughing the whole time as well.

Anyone know what kind of snake it is. It was in muskoka.

gibsonbfunny1.JPG

Northern Water Snake maybe one of these.

There are four subspecies:

Nerodia sipedon sipedon, Northern water snake

Nerodia sipedon pleuralis, Midland water snake

Nerodia sipedon insularum, Lake Erie water snake

Nerodia sipedon williamengelsi, Carolina water snake

This is a great reference.

http://www.scisnake.com/download/snakesreferenceguide.pdf

nersip%201.jpg

They can dive underwater too! Some get kinda brave & come at you. I have a pet Milk snake myself.

They eat frogs & mice. They can swallow prey whole, up to 1.5 times their own girth.

Edited by danbo

And these suckers can get big too! Once in Dillon there was one that must have been 36 ft long, luckily the local dock dog loved to play with these snakes and chase them into the water so I was told the next day... that's how long it took me to walk back after running 1/4 mile across the bay over two hills and 1 steep rock cliff. That was the week I realized that I can run on water.

And these suckers can get big too! Once in Dillon there was one that must have been 36 ft long, luckily the local dock dog loved to play with these snakes and chase them into the water so I was told the next day... that's how long it took me to walk back after running 1/4 mile across the bay over two hills and 1 steep rock cliff. That was the week I realized that I can run on water.

36ft? wow. lol

I have been told since that it was indeed a water snake but it looked scary and despite the fact that I knew it wasn't a massasauga rattler (which is onltario's only poisonous snake), it still looked poisonous. Freakin snake was not shy at all.

Yep, northern watersnake. A water moccasin is also known as a cottonmouth and definately is not found in Ontario, more the southern States. Northern watersnakes are typically really agressive and will bite alot if you catch them. It hurts but other than that they're harmless. I'm pretty sure they can get up to around 4ft (rarely though).

After a 20 second standoff I decided to jump over it. I ran toward it and jumped over it. It may be a stretch but I think it tried to bite me during the jump (luckily I have good up). I was laughing the whole time as well.

I keep thinking about you jumping over that snake....if he would have struck directly above you while you were jumpin' over him, the first point of contact with your body would have been your gems :w00t: .....OUCH!!!!!!!...I'm gettin' the shivers just thinking bout that!!

Yup water snake...used to catch them when I was a kid out of Clayton lake...They are aggresive but non venomous...Hits hard with a nice bite but you will survive as I am still standing...May be not as smart as I was but they are not dangerous. They dive very well and can stay underwater for about 3 minutes or so. Fun snake to play with as a kid.

Water moccasins or cottonmouths are found in N.America.....in the southern U.S. Yes...they are poisonous.

The snake on the dock may be a water snake but water snakes have a yellower belly and are brown with patterns on it's back....some have very nice patterns. This snake looks a lot like a black snake that have a white belly. Black snakes are quite agressive.

In the area around Gananoqué near Kingston, there is a type of black snake called the Black Rat Snake that can get to 108 inches long....maybe more.

Water Moccasin?!!

That species is not found in North America, and is poisonous!!

tisk tisk

As I said earlier, the water moccasin or cottonmouth is native to the south eastern states which is still North America (last time I checked). There's no sense in correcting someone with more misinformation...

Those snakes from the south will probably migrate north into Canada due to global warming. I have an old American Wildlife field guide and some of those snakes were found just south of the Great Lakes.

these are all over teh parry sound area!

they swim right at you while floating around on the noodle...

have to admit i haven't let em get to close, wonder if they will bite in the water??

i know those really poisonous sea snakes wouldn't dare to bite you while in the water

they are pretty aggressive nonetheless

As I said earlier, the water moccasin or cottonmouth is native to the south eastern states which is still North America (last time I checked). There's no sense in correcting someone with more misinformation...

OK southern states, N. A.

The point is we don't get water moccasins up here, so no one need grab their oar next time they encounter a water snake.

yyeeeessshhh

HD

I think its the northern Water snake as well. Someone mentioned a Black Rat Snake, but I doubt this, that would be one small black rat (smallest I've seen is about 3-4ft), and black rats are usually deep in the woods, as opposed to hanging out on docks. Non the less, they are pretty similar species in terms of their markings.

these are all over teh parry sound area!

they swim right at you while floating around on the noodle...

have to admit i haven't let em get to close, wonder if they will bite in the water??

i know those really poisonous sea snakes wouldn't dare to bite you while in the water

they are pretty aggressive nonetheless

The only poisonous snake in Canada is the Massauga Rattler. I have never heard of anyone dying after being bitten. The snake is so shy that it quickly hides. It is not agressive in the least.

I imagine that the day someone is seriously injured or dies from a snake bite, the news papers and tv news will certainly make a big thing of it.

The snake is so shy that it quickly hides. It is not agressive in the least.

Parry Sound water snakes must be high then...

they swim right for you in the water, like i said, never been bit and i know...they are NOT venomous