We finally got our canoe,

bbnotty

First of all i would like to thank all those that helped out with some great advise on selecting our canoe. Without all your input we would not have been so confident in the purchase. I love this board, everyone is so helpful. My sons canoe but i chipped in to help out abit. We bought a 14 ft transom sportspal, had to build a shelf for it in the garage to keep it out of the way. We took it out on a small lake to figure things out and make sure we knew what we were doing. All went well and wow what a stable canoe, My son was even standing and casting from it. Again thanks and a few pics of the new canoe.

med_gallery_145_160_98404.jpg

med_gallery_145_160_107150.jpg

Berge

Excellent choice. I have the exact same model and colour. It's been great for the last 15yrs so I'm sure you will have a long and happy relationship with your Sportspal. Do you have an electric trolling motor for it yet? Welcome to the club :thumbsup_anim:

logo.jpg

Jediangler, yes i bought a trolling motor and battery yesterday. Now all i have to figure out is where to go, maybe island lake. My son wants to take it to the mouth of the river for some salmon action in late august.

Berge

Orangeville would be a great baptism for your Sportspal. I've often thought of taking my kayak down to Bronte in the fall to try for a salmon. I will be watching for a wind out of the S-SE before I give it a try just to be safe. I don't want a chinook taking me on a ride to Rochester, not that there's anything wrong with Rochester, I just don't want to go there in a kayak.

Edited by jediangler

I don't want a chinook taking me on a ride to Rochester, not that there's anything wrong with Rochester, I just don't want to go there in a kayak.

Would that be faster than the high speed ferry that no one wanted to take either?? :lol:

thanks guys. yes now we can look forward to a few trips north into speckie country. As for bronte for salmon, i was thinking of the credit in the inner harbour area maybe out to the ship. maybe we'll try it in a few weeks when they start to show up.

Berge

Yes guys its going to be a blast, very stable but we still have to use caution.

This 14 ft weights in at 58 lbs, but i assume that it may get pushed around a bit in windy conditions.

Bought the canoe at fairport marine in bradford, known them for a few years now and seem like good people. paid around a grand for her.

Hope to post a report soon on our first outing fishing with the canoe.

Berge

thanks guys. yes now we can look forward to a few trips north into speckie country. As for bronte for salmon, i was thinking of the credit in the inner harbour area maybe out to the ship. maybe we'll try it in a few weeks when they start to show up.

Berge

Bronte may be better due to lower traffic, and that area of the Credit is one big shoal. Even if there's not much wind rollers turn into nasty breakers. Seen more than one tinny get swamped there by a big wave on a nice afternoon.

Bass Pro has the smaller socks for around $20, very helpful casting out of a canoe. Though on the canoe scale, that's a tank so the wind might not be that much of a bother.

BTW as soon as you put a motor on it, even an electric, you turn it into a powered craft and need an operators card. If you do end up fishing Bronte or Credit you will be checked.