My new set-up and forthcoming fishing trip...

I'm heading to Lake Katchewanooka on Saturday for half a week and plan on mainly targeting musky. I've never fished for musky before at all so I'm quite excited at the possibility of landing my first esox muskellunge! I got a new set up a couple weeks ago for my birthday that I have yet to use. I've got a 2 piece 7 foot medium action St. Croix with a Pflueger President spinning reel. I put some of the green 50 lb Power Pro braid on and currently have a steel leader. Will this suffice? I have no idea what the water clarity is like in this lake. Should I opt for a fluorocarbon leader instead?

A big musky will have its way with you on that setup.

Also, the longer you play a muskie, the worse chance it has to be live released successfully. The reason all the pros use heavy tackle (XH casting rod, 100lb PPro) is to get the fish in quickly and get it back into the water. (And probably not to lose $30 baits, lol)

Crank the drag down if you happen to get one. If it gets off, it gets off. If you play it for 30mins, the odds of it surviving aren't very good.

Assuming of course Sabina bought you the rod as more of an all around set-up for bass, pike and trout/salmon, I think you'd be under-shooting it a bit for lunges budday...

You could probably get away with such a setup for a weekend thing, but specifically targetting muskys would require a heavier rod and reel.

We sometimes get incidental hook ups when fishing for other species in the Kawarthas, Mcdoug landed some dandies last year fishing with senkos and small tubes, but the time it took to play the fish in probably put uneeded stress on the fish.

Off topic, wut time is your gig at the Gladstone tonight brotha?

yyeeeeeeee

HD

Assuming of course Sabina bought you the rod as more of an all around set-up for bass, pike and trout/salmon, I think you'd be under-shooting it a bit for lunges budday...

You could probably get away with such a setup for a weekend thing, but specifically targetting muskys would require a heavier rod and reel.

We sometimes get incidental hook ups when fishing for other species in the Kawarthas, Mcdoug landed some dandies last year fishing with senkos and small tubes, but the time it took to play the fish in probably put uneeded stress on the fish.

Off topic, wut time is your gig at the Gladstone tonight brotha?

yyeeeeeeee

HD

Yeah, it's not really intended as a musky rod but it's what I've got to work with. I guess we'll see how it all goes down. I definitely don't want to risk putting undue stress on the fish but at the same time, if I just go for the bass or walleye in that lake, I'll end up hooking and losing a nice musky on 10 lb line sans leader with my confounded luck! Are musky really all that much more ferocious and tougher to bring in than pike? The show starts at 7:00 PM tonight dude. Hope to see you there brah!

Yeah, it's not really intended as a musky rod but it's what I've got to work with. I guess we'll see how it all goes down. I definitely don't want to risk putting undue stress on the fish but at the same time, if I just go for the bass or walleye in that lake, I'll end up hooking and losing a nice musky on 10 lb line sans leader with my confounded luck! Are musky really all that much more ferocious and tougher to bring in than pike? The show starts at 7:00 PM tonight dude. Hope to see you there brah!

You outta toss that 10lb power braid brah, it's useless unless your fishing panfish!!

From what I hear, lunges are a class by themselves. They hit harder, fight harder and are some of the toothiest critters in our waters.. That's why you've got folks totally hooked on sky fishing!!

Also, I believe we've got some members that would grind their teeth at the thought of someone fishing their haunts without the right equipment..

See you at the show jiggah, I'll bring the kunas.

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

You should be alright with that rod, reel and line for bass up there. I would recommend bass spinnerbaits and topwaters

up there in that weedfest. If you get an incidental musky be careful, they are nasty. They fight like pike on steroids.

Good luck with your gig tonight and the weekend fishing. As per usual evenings and mornings are best fishing.

cheers,

ehg

You should be alright with that rod, reel and line for bass up there. I would recommend bass spinnerbaits and topwaters

up there in that weedfest. If you get an incidental musky be careful, they are nasty. They fight like pike on steroids.

Good luck with your gig tonight and the weekend fishing. As per usual evenings and mornings are best fishing.

cheers,

ehg

I guess I'll try to hook up a heavier set-up then. It makes no sense to go after musky with an inadequate rig.

I don't know. If you're "just trying", you want to buy a brand new musky combo that'll run you over $200? I say wing it with your setup, but don't get huge baits so you can cast it decently. Maybe the super shad raps or smaller bucktails. If you like it, then consider investing in another combo. I mean, if you cast all week and get nothing more than a few frustrating follows, you may never want to try it again.

Are musky really all that much more ferocious and tougher to bring in than pike?

It's like the difference between largemouth and smallmouth dude.

Muskies = pike with roid rage

I wouldn't be chasing them with a spinning combo, unless you're praying for 30 inch fish.

If the lake is known for holding lots of Muskies, but smaller ones, then you'll be OKAY....just okay. If there is the real potential for a 40"plus fish, well.....you're gonna get bossed around. Those fish really do live up to the reputation once hooked. Mind you, the last time I went to a lake that is known for its abundance of smaller muskies, I got rocked by a 47" PB .... so, yeah. I guess I've reached the point of rambling. Just send us a report!