Camp Jiggy Jiggy Report

TJQ

These fish were caught up a very small creek... I took some video of it when I let it go...

I think its spazzing cause it was outta the water..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That video leads me to beleive that they are dogfish/bowfin they can use their swim bladder as lungs and frequently gulp air from the surface if they are low on O2.

The bowfin has a light covering of rounded, overlapping scales, a large mouth, and sharp teeth. Its swim bladder is capable of functioning as a lung, and the bowfin can survive out of water for a day. It prefers sluggish water and surfaces occasionally to gulp air.

I thought Bowfin myself initially.....but the lower fins are too long. Definitely more "ling like".

If you check the lings life cylce, quite surprisingly (to me at least) it says they're also found in shallow streams.

I bleive ling are considered a coldwater species and the smaller shallow streams they are talking about are mountain tributaries. I could be wrong, but that behavior of gulping air from the surface is definately bowfin behavior. The pics are not the greatest quality as far as showing fins the profile photo looks like the fish is dried out some and the other photo show no features really. We see bowfin gulping on the surface like that all the time when we fish the Rankin System.

Edited by Musky or Specks

....Burbot, lawyer fish, ling whatever. A key identifier of the ling is the barbel under the chin which can be seen clearly in the video clip.

gallery_9_87_25990.jpg

Yes they are usually a cold water fish and no I can't explain it's gulping behavior but it is a ling none the less.

....Burbot, lawyer fish, ling whatever. A key identifier of the ling is the barbel under the chin which can be seen clearly in the video clip.

Yes they are usually a cold water fish and no I can't explain it's gulping behavior but it is a ling none the less.

Its not a ling.. its a burbot... lol... AKA northern pickerel hater

Great report TJ. Tanker perch for sure.

For them trouts try a willowleaf about a foot above a hook and a worm and just drag it around real real real real real slow along steep shoreline points, deep structures and deep weededges, or any holes around the ole beaver lodge.

wow. what a perch. Nice report TJ.

Monique's been on fire eh! First she's got that HUGE pike, and then this.

Exactly what i was going to say first the huge fat pike, now this massive perch!

Great report,

ehg

I'd have to agree with Spiel, the single barbel was clearly visible in the early portion of the video. Burbot or "ling" as some call it, it's one species on my list of fish to catch too.

Congrats to Monique on that huge perch.