Need some advice

I just finished my Second university degree. I had OSAP during both of my bouts at school and wouldn't have been able to pay for school/rent/food without the loans. The nice thing about OSAP is you don't start accumulating interest until 8 months after you graduate(or maybe its 10 can't remember right now). So you have time to get a decent paying job. This is much better than a bank loan or line of credit where you pay interest immediately, and the interest rate through OSAP isn't too bad either

I would say get right into school when you're done HS. Like others have said, once your out of school for a bit, its really hard to make yourself go back. I think trades would be excellent if thats your kind of work, there certainly will be a demand, and the knowledge you gain is extremely functional.

Just make sure you get into something that will produce a job for you. Try to get a program that has a co-op or placement to build some connections in the industry. If you go the Academic route stay towards the sciences instead of arts. There are just way too many students in the arts programs and its hard to stand out. Besides your job opportunities are pretty limited by a general arts degree. Teaching is a pretty good route (thats what I've done) but the job market is pretty competitive right now if you're not willing to relocate. If you're willing to go north, you can almost pick where you want to go.

Others have mentioned the military, this is also a great choice, one that I strongly considered myself. Its a great life experiences, and you are provided with a chance to see all over the world, and learn a great deal of information.

No matter what you choose I wish you the best. Its a big decision, so don't take it lightly!

I went to a private callage for network administration and most of the tiem I wish I hadnt! First off it was expensive, secondly, I didnt learn much and didnt get a job in the field.

I really shoudlnt complain about my education though, it has landed me some great (unrelated) jobs and the opportunity to travel.

Be weary of private collages if you are gona get into tech. If I were to do it all again I'd choose something more fun and creative.

My advice is think long and hard about your future, not just the imediate future, but long term. Make sure whatever you choose to do, you really enjoy!

I'm just finishing up a masters degree in aquatic biology so I've spent a few years in school. A lot of people talk about what you will and won't learn in the classroom at university, college or wherever. But you also learn a lot of other very important skills while in school especially if you're just leaving high school. First off living away from home is a great experience if you learn to manage your time and money properly and generally learn to be a little more responsible if you're smart. You probably didn't need to think about that at all in high school. Wherever you go to school they'll , likely have programs that help you learn to write resumes, how to handle yourself in job interviews etc. You'll get a lot more out of school that simply what you do in the classroom. Not to mention all the good times.

Going to school also gives you a lot of freedom to spend time doing things you enjoy. You're only young once, so enjoy it. This can be very useful in helping figure out what you want to do. I know everyone tells you do something you like but if you're like me and a lot of young people you're not exactly sure what you'd like to do right out of high school.

But finally don't let other people tell you what you'd like to do because they can't answer that question for you. Don't sign up for something just because you think you can make good money doing it. And don't worry if you're not completely sure about you're future right now, you have plenty of time to figure it out.

Mikey,

I going through the same process. Im 21, and i went to cooking school after highschool because i was told "do what u like" so i liekd food and to eat.....but i DONT want to do it as a career. SO now i work in some office and dont really like it. What i would suggest is find a program in college that u find interesting whatever it is, and take it. Because either way u NEED the education... so go to school. If u really want a trade do it. Apprentice or something.

I worked fulltime in highschool, I worked fulltime while going to University... I needed too. I had rent and bills to pay on top of that I also had to pay for my tuition..

It can be done.. just be prepared to work hard.. and in the end you have no debt looming over you're head for years to come.

I will suggest as others have.. Pick up a trade.

G

Look at trades in the military, i am a gas fitter/ tinbanger. i looked into the military as a career before i became a tradesman. They turned me down flatly because of my allergies. now they are offering a start as a corporal pay and a signing bonus. I tell them no now. i was in sales most of my adult life and switched when i got laid off, been in the trade 2 years now and never would look back! Best of luck to you